CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1351131
Date first listed:
03-Jul-1963
Date of most recent amendment:
11-May-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1351131.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Aug-2020 at 05:04:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
East Hampshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Selborne
National Park:
SOUTH DOWNS
National Grid Reference:
SU 74119 33780

Details

SELBORNE THE PLESTOR

11/13 Church of St Mary

The item shall be amended to read :

SELBORNE THE PLESTOR

High Street Church of St Mary

------------------------------------

SELBORNE THE PLESTOR SU 7433 11/13 Church of St Mary

3.7.63 I

Parish church. Late C12, late C13, early C14, 1781, 1856, and C20. Stone walls and tiled roof. Late Norman (c 1180) nave of 4 bays with aisles, chancel of the same period, south aisle widened when the east end was made into a chant chapel (post 1284), north transept of 1305, west tower of 1781, south porch (C18), and C19 vestry. The nave and wide south aisle have separate roofs, the narrower north aisle has a low pitched slate roof, at right angles is the transept roof ending in a gable. Most of the walling is polygonal malmstone with stone and some brick dressings, the windows are mainly restorations, lancets, coupled cusped lights, 3 lancets to the to the east window, and a group of 3 tall lancets within a hoodmould to the south aisle. Interior: much remains of original work; the transitional arches of the nave are supported on cylindrical columns with cushion caps, the east and transept windows are old, there are piscinas to the chancel, south aisle, and transept. The chancel arch is 1856 by William White. There is a series of wall monuments of the C18, a Royal Coat of Arms of GIII (1786). There is furniture made from medieval pieces, of stools, a reading desk, and a C15 bench. There are 2 notable works of art; a Flemish altar piece a triptych) by JAN MOSTAERT of c 1510, and a piece of Flemish wood carving (c 1520) of the Descent from the Cross. There are floor slab tombs. In the south aisle is a large 3- light window with stained glass of 1920, depicting St Francis and the Birds, being a memorial to Gilbert White (all the birds having mention in his Natural History of Selborne). Plain round font (C12) and south door with original wrought iron strapwork. The tower is plain, with a parapet. The porch is also plain, with walls of ironstone and malmstone.

Listing NGR: SU7409433703

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
143031
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
White, G, The Natural History and Antiquities of Selborne, (1875)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12161/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Ruth Povey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].