CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1339652
Date first listed:
16-May-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS, CHURCH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1339652.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2020 at 15:09:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Basingstoke and Deane (District Authority)
Parish:
Whitchurch
National Grid Reference:
SU 45994 47748

Details

1. 5229 WHITCHURCH CHURCH STREET

SU 45/4647 16.5.66 Church of All Hallows SU 45/4648 5/40

II*

2. Norman, Perpendicular, but mainly a restoration of 1866 by Benjamin Ferrey. Nave of 4 bays with wide north and south aisles, chancel, west tower, and south porch. The nave arcades have pointed arches, with cylindrical (Norman) columns on the south side on square bases, and shafted (Perp) columns on the north side, on the old square bases (the 2 western being original); old pointed tower arch; the base of the tower is C15, with a timber newel stair, with C17 alterations and restoration upper parts. Within, there is a C15 octagonal font, brasses (of Sir Richard Brooke died 1593 and wife Elizabeth) and 2 limestone effigies (of Thomas Brooke died 1612 and wife Susanna) on a modern altar tomb. Frishburga's stone is a C10 arch-headed fragment with a bust within a recess. The exterior is entirely Victorian, Early English, with lancets, plate tracery, circular high lights, and Geometrical windows in the gables of aisles and chancel. Walls are of flint and stone rubble, with stone dressings including shallow buttresses having steep weatherings; the tower is rendered. Steep tile roofing and shingled broach spire to the Tower. Half-glazed timber-framed porch on a stone plinth.

Listing NGR: SU4616847946

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
139378
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/17022/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Easton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].