Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1339555.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 16:42:13.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Basingstoke and Deane (District Authority)
Old Basing and Lychpit
National Grid Reference:
SU 66597 52927


SU 6652 OLD BASING THE STREET 6653 22/31 26.4.57 Church of St Mary


Originally a cruciform Norman church with a central tower. Aisles and chapels (of nearly equal width) were added to nave and chancel, to form the present rectangular structure, with triple gables at the east and west ends; the Norman arches of the Tower survive on the north and south sides. The north (circa 1325) and south (circa 1530) chapels were added by the Paulet family and are separated from the chancel by small doorways, with on each side arched openings above altar tombs; they are finely wrought with Gothic and early Renaissance detail, and with armorial features. The church was wrecked during the Civil War (note Cromwell's famous siegeof the adjoining Basing House in 1645) and the building was substantially rebuilt afterwards in brickwork. Externally, the nave aisles have 3 bays, while the chapels have 4 the raised east end being expressed in the higher roof; tile roofing, red brickwork in English bond (some partly rendered) with stone dressings. The parapet having a coping and a weather band, the latter being ornamented with armorial corbels outside the chapels, cill band to chapel windows, plinth moulding above (medieval) flintwork, slender buttresses and diagonal corner buttresses. The windows have tracery (of chestnut in the north chapel), the 3 eastern 5-light windows being old & encased in earlier flint and stone walling; at the west end the central gable contains a C15 carved figure of the Virgin and child within a canopied niche, the west door is a delicate Renaissance stone arch within a retangular rusticated frame (probably a design of Inigo Jones). The Tower is C17 in red brickwork with stone strings and coping to crenellated parapet, the corner finials in stone being a recent replacement, the bell stage has coupled openings beneath hood moulds. Within, the arcading is massive rendered brickwork with octagonal columns supporting 4-centred arches (late Perpendicular); there are squints, a rood stair and an inscription dated 1519 (indicating the renewal of the aisles) above the eastern arch of the north aisle. The aisle roofs of open arch-braced trusses are original, the chapel roofs are plaster barrel vaults. There are several large and small wall monuments (one by Flaxman 1784), hatchments (one with the Royal Coat of Arms of 1660). The font is C15, an octagonal design in Purbeck stone. There is a Jacobean pulpit (formerly at Basingstoke). The south (Bolton) chapel is hung with funeral helms, crests and gauntlets. A parish room has been added on the north side (1981) with a 1/2-hipped tile roof and rendered walls.

Listing NGR: SU6610852746


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/04090/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Chapman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].