CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1339113
Date first listed:
29-May-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, ROMSEY ROAD A3057

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1339113.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 15:57:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, ROMSEY ROAD A3057

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Test Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Kings Somborne
National Grid Reference:
SU 36022 30979

Details

SU 3630 15/1

KINGS SOMBORNE, ROMSEY ROAD, A3057 (east side), Church of St Peter and St Paul

29/5/57

GV II*

Parish church. C12 origins, chancel and S aisle C13, chancel rebuilt early C14, mid C14 side chapels to W chancel bays, N aisle and tower, in 1886 N arcade, part of S arcade, chancel arch, W aisle bays, tower and S porch rebuilt. Course flint and stone dressings, plain tile roof and timber upper part to tower, shingled spire. Plan of C13/C14 chancel with W bay having C14 side chapels continuing C13/C14 aisles of C12 nave and in W bay of nave large W tower with timber belfry and spire, to E of it S porch. E end of chancel has early C14 3-light reticulated window with hood-mould, and diagonal buttresses. In chancel side walls to E of centre wide C14 trefoiled window, to W mid C14 squareheaded 2-light trefoiled window. Between windows to S pointed chamfered door, with corbel head reset above. Chapels have late C14 squareheaded 3-light trefoiled window with label, with some old glass. S aisle has 6 small square headed 2-light trefoiled windows 3 C14, one reset in old doorway, 3 C19. N aisle 4 C15 similar windows, much repaired, a C19 similar at W and W of centre C19 gabled porch, buttress each side and pointed door with label, inside door of reused stone. W end has C19 pointed door rising to sill of C19 W window similar to E window and aisles have W windows similar to E. Tower has tapered shingled middle stage, belfry of 4 roundheaded louvred bell openings on each side, short broach spire. Inside chancel E window has splayed arch. Each side image bracket, below square recess with C20 timber door. In NE monument 1736 to Needham Family in marble of console brackets supporting sill, inscribed panel on with Doric columns supporting entablature and broken segmental pediment with cartouche. To W low set C14 sept-foil ogee moulded recess containing slab with in low relief figure under trefoiled canopy, around edge Gothic inscription. W bay has to N and S double chamfered arches dying into jambs, above N jamb plaque 1729 to Luke Sutton. Chancel arch C13 rebuilt C19, with 2 chamfered order arch on C13 simple round capitals and shafts. To SE C19 stone pulpit. 5 arcade 3 bays, C13 restored C19, E bay and arch of next C13, of 2 chamfered orders with simple round capitals and columns. E column has medieval graffiti. In S aisle C17 altar rails of turned balusters and moulded rails. N chapel has splayed rear arches. In NE remains of C15 canopy in stone of pointed arch with battlemented cornice over. N arcade C19 copy of S. C15 principal purlin aisle roof. Pointed N door of reused inscribed stones. Nave roof plastered but below 3 C17 moulded tiebeams. In W bay octagonal Purbeck marble font with arcaded sides and central stem and 8 smaller shafts. VCH; Volume 4; 1911; p476.

Listing NGR: SU3608431170

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
140777
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1911), 476

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Dec 2007
Reference: IOE01/17030/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stuart Brighton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].