Church of St Andrew

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1333214
Date first listed:
25-Sep-1972
Statutory Address:
Church of St Andrew, Havant Road, Farlington, Portsmouth

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1333214.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 16:44:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Andrew, Havant Road, Farlington, Portsmouth

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Portsmouth (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 68577 05820

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16/04/2019

SU60NE 774-1/2/169

PORTSMOUTH Farlington HAVANT ROAD (north side) Church of St Andrew 25/09/72

II Church. 1872-75 (chancel 1872, north aisle 1875). Complete restoration and enlargement by G.E Street. Flint with stone dressings. Plain tiled roofs.

STYLE: Neo-Early English.

PLAN: three bay nave and three bay north aisle, two bay chancel, south west porch.

EXTERIOR: south face: entrance porch at far left (west) has opening with a stone stepped and roll-moulded pointed arch, stone jambs and hoodmould. Band roll moulding at springer level. Recessed pointed arch springing from stone columns each with moulded cap and base. At rear of porch is a boarded door with ornate iron strap hinges set under a stone roll moulded pointed arch with flanking stone columns. Steep pitched facing stone gable with stone slabbed roof. Face of wall wider below springer level with stepped coped weathering. Stone capped plinth. To right of porch is a three-light wide window with plate tracery, lancet headed lights with quatrefoil over each light, set under a stone pointed arch with hoodmould. To right is a similar two-light window. Stone band below sills. Chancel with higher roof has two similar two-light windows, offset buttresses.

West face: nave with narrow stone stepped lancet window, rusticated jambs and sillband. Short buttress at centre below sill. Facing gable and timber bell turret with lead-covered base and broached tiled spirelet. To left, aisle has a two-light stone window with plate tracery. Each light has trefoil headed light set under pointed arch.

North face: at centre of aisle is a three-light stone window with Plate tracery set under stone pointed arch. Facing gable and flanking short buttresses. To left (east) are two small stone pointed arched windows, sillband. At centre between windows is a boarded door set under stone segmental arch. At centre of chancel is a stone stack with paired flue shafts.

East face: chancel has three-light stone window with pointed arch and hoodmould, rusticated jambs.

INTERIOR: arcade to north aisle three bays with clustered quatrefoil marble piers and pointed chamfered stone arches. Timber wagon roof over nave with at west end a queen post truss (supporting spirelet). Chancel arch similar to arcade arches with marble piers. Chancel has two bay quadripartite vault with ribs springing from foliated stone capitals with marble shafts. Stained glass windows. Monument west - Baroque cartouche to Thomas Smith (Lord of the Manor of Farlington) died 1742.

Listing NGR: SU6862005851

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
474730
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Balfour, A, Portsmouth, (1970), 56
Lloyd, D W , Buildings of Portsmouth and its Environs, (1974), 126
Pevsner, N, Lloyd, D, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1973), 466,467

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/11118/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Glyn Edmunds . Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].