CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1322547
Date first listed:
21-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, HIGH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1322547.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 08:17:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Uttlesford (District Authority)
Parish:
Great Sampford
National Grid Reference:
TL 64234 35355

Details

GREAT SAMPFORD HIGH STREET 1. 5222 (west side) Church of St Michael TL 6435 40/330 21.2.67

I GV

2. Mainly C14 flint and stone rubble church with stone dressings. The south chapel is late Cl3 and was the transept of a former church. The church is said to have been built by the Knights Hospitallers. The north arcade of the nave and the north aisle are circa 1320-30, the chancel circa 1340, the south aisle, south porch and west tower circa 1350. The parapet to the south aisle is C15 and the interior staircase to the tower is C16. The west tower has angle buttresses and a castellated parapet. The windows of the chancel have fine tracery, particularly the large 5-light east window. On the interior the chancel has stone arcades with clustered columns and cusped pointed arches mounted above stone benches. On the north wall there are 11 bays and on the south wall 15 bays. Each is said to have seated one of the Knights Hospitallers. The arch from the south aisle into the chapel has very fine stone carving with foliage, a cowled head, animals and birds. In the south wall of the chapel there is a C14 tomb recess with crocketted gables. The stone font has a C14 traceried stem and a C15 plain bowl. There is also a C16 oak cupboard. The church forms the focal point of the village. Graded for its architectural, historical and topographical value. (RCHM 1).

Listing NGR: TL6423435355

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
121938
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex North West, (1916)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/09217/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John E. Scott. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].