PARISH CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1320551
Date first listed:
01-Feb-1956
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, MILL LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1320551.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 08:03:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, MILL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bathampton
National Grid Reference:
ST 77722 66536

Details

ST 7766 BATHAMPTON C.P. MILL LANE (Eastside) 8/20 1.2.56 Parish Church of St. Nicholas G.V II* Parish Church of St. Nicholas. C13th origins; C15th alterations and tower; but considerably restored and North aisle built in 1858 by A.S. Goodridge of Bath; and chancel restored 1882 by C.E. Davis of Bath; these C19th retorations completely obliterated Ralph Allen's Gothick restoration of the mid C18th Ashlar and coursed, squared rubble; slate roof behind pierced quatrefoil parapets; West tower; Nave; North and South aisles; South Porch; Chancel. Tower: 3 stages, diagonal buttresses; embattled parapet with pinnacles; octagonal stair turret; single perpendicular bell chamber window. Restored windows in aisles and chancel. Mutilated effigy (?Bishop or Prioress) in niche under East window (probably C16th). Interior. Early English Chancel Arch (restored), triple lancet East window. Australia Chapel in south aisle contains memorials to Allen family: Philip Allen, 1763; Ralph Allen 1977; Charles Holder 1763. In Chancel other C18th and C19th wall plaques and tablets especially Robert Fisher, 1795. Mutilated C14th effigy on window cill of west window of south aisle. Victorian Font.

Listing NGR: ST7772266536

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
32021
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01563/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Beryl Murray. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].