CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1320152
Date first listed:
18-Oct-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HIGH ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1320152.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2020 at 14:56:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HIGH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Buckinghamshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Soulbury
National Grid Reference:
SP 88212 27028

Details

SP 82 NE SOULBURY HIGH ROAD (west side)

3/52 Church of All Saints

18.10.66 II*

Parish church. C14 chancel and aisles added to earlier nave; aisles altered C15 and early C16; nave arcades, clerestorey and W. tower built early C16; C15 S. porch; much restored 1863 by G.E. Street. Greensand rubble with limestone dressings, tiled roof to chancel, lead roofs to remainder. Restored concrete parapets. W. tower of 3 stages has octagonal stair turret slightly projecting from S.W. corner, 3-light openings to bell-chamber and 4-light traceried window to W. 2-bay clerestory of 3-light windows with flat hoodmoulds. N. aisle has C14 windows with reticulated tracery in E. bays 2-light to E. and 3-light to N. other windows are early C16 each of 3-lights, 2 to N. flanking C14 moulded doorway Aisle is continued to VO end of tower, S. aisle has 2 bays of late C15-C16 3-light traceried windows and similar C14 doorway. S. porch has altered battlemented parapet, diagonal buttresses, double chamfered 2-centred arch, and pair of trefoil - headed lancets in each side wall. Chancel has much restored Decorated windows, 3- light in E. bay, 2-light to centre, 2-light lowside windows, small moulded No door, and large 3-light window to E. Interior: tower has tall wide arch to nave and smaller arch to N. aisle, both slightly 4-centred, on semi-octagonal piers with moulded caps. Nave has 2 bays of similar arches and restored C16 roof with moulded tie- beams, purlins and ridge, the tie beams on braces with small carved heraldic angels. Arch to rood-loft stairs in N.E. corner. C16 roofs to aisles. No aisle has restored piscina, S. aisle has cinquefoil piscina, 2 arched recesses in E. wall, and squint to chancel. Double chamfered chancel arch on short semi-octagonal piers with moulded caps and tall bases., Chancel has sill course, recess in N. wall with moulded ogee arch, much restoredtriple sedilia with trefoil arches and C19 roof. Fittings: C15 octagonal font with traceried panels, borders of old glass in windows, chest dated 1731, other fittings C19-C20. Monuments: (1) Robert Lovett and wife 1609 with kneeling figures infront of double arcade with flanking obelisks; (2) Eleanor Lovett d. 1786, with classical female figure reclining on urn over traceried inscription panels, of Coade stone and signed "Coade and Sealy"; (3) marble monument to Robert Lovett 1701, attributed to Grinling Gibbons, with urn on sarcophagus, relief of cherubs and clouds behind, crest with carved fruit swags, and flanking obelisks with eagle finials and weeping putti in front. (4) black marble obelisk to Verney Lovett 1771; (5) pedimented wall monument to Robert Lovett 1740; (6) grey marble obelisk to Jonathan Lovett 1770; (7) monument to John Sambee 1728; (8) other wall tablets to Lovett family.

RCHMII p. 266-268.

Listing NGR: SP8821227028

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
350791
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume Two North, (1913)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Dec 2000
Reference: IOE01/02711/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr W A Cooper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].