This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1319130

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wokingham

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Twyford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 41383

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 77 NE TWYFORD CHURCH STREET (south side) 2/42 26.1.67 Church of St Mary G.V. II

Church. 1846 by Benjamin Ferrey in an Early English style, north aisle added 1883, tower added 1908-10 by S. Stallwood. Flint with stone dressings, buttressed walls, plate tracery windows. Coped gables to tiled roof. 5 bay nave, north and south aisles square tower on north west, gabled entrance porch on south opposite middle bay. Tower in 3 stages, stone string courses, cornice and plain parapet, small pyramidal tiled roof. 3-light windows in top stage on all sides, coupled with stone mullions and heavily moulded pointed heads; other windows plain narrow slits. Small stone bellcote at east end of nave, central on ridge. Plain interior with arcades of alternate octagonal and round columns with moulded capitals, and round arches. Simple arch braced roof with king posts and curved windbraces to purlins. Stained glass in 2 lancets in south aisle by Willement 1847. B.O.E. (Berkshire) p.243.

Listing NGR: SU7885375887

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 243

National Grid Reference: SU 78853 75887

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1319130 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 08:41:43.

End of official listing