This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT PETER

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT PETER

List entry Number: 1311731

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT PETER, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Bedford

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Thurleigh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Jul-1964

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 36589

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 05NE THURLEIGH HIGH STREET (South Side)

4/186 Parish Church of Saint 13.7.64 Peter

GV II*

Parish church. Circa 1130, C14, C15, restored 1880's, clerestory removed 1970-1. Coursed limestone rubble, mainly ashlar dressings, but ironstone dressings to chacel S windows. Mainly C20 roof coverings but clay tiles to S porch. Central tower, chancel, nave, N and S aisles and S porch. Tower : lower part Norman, top part rebuilt C15. Eroded S doorway, round-headed, in 2 square orders, with billet label and tympanum showing Adam and Eve. Small round-headed windows to N and S, also lancet to S. Top stage has C15 2-light windows to all sides. C20 short leaded spire. Traces of former N chapel. C14 2-bay chancel: 3-light E window. S wall has C14 low-side window, plain doorway and piscina recess, and 2 C15 4-centred windows. E wall retains plain parapet. C15 4-bay nave: arcades both sides, large 4- centred W window and NE rood/tower staircase. C15 N aisle: some windows restored C19. Cinquefoiled piscina set into angle of rood stairs. C15 S aisle: again, some C19 restoration of windows. Cinquefoiled stoup to S wall. C15 S porch: square- headed 2-light windows to each side, and pointed arch under square head. Interior: C15 octagonal font with carved decoration including shields. Early C15 floor brass to knight in nave. 1590 wall brass to Edmond Daye in S aisle S wall. Remains of original roof to aisles, chancel roof possibly from a 1619 restoration.

Listing NGR: TL0513558466

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 05135 58466

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1311731 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2017 at 07:48:12.

End of official listing