CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1311289
Date first listed:
06-Feb-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1311289.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jan-2021 at 06:42:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Eden (District Authority)
Parish:
Ravenstonedale
National Park:
YORKSHIRE DALES
National Grid Reference:
NY 72231 04265

Details

RAVENSTONEDALE Ravenstonedale NY 7204 (West side)

26/127 Church of St Oswald

6.2.68 I

Parish church. Tower rebuilt 1738, rest of church 1744; some dressed stone from earlier church re-used. Snecked rubble with rusticated quoins. Graduated slate roofs. 3-stage west tower, wide aiseless nave, and chancel. Single tall storey with west gallery. C19 plank door in segment-headed architrave, with segmental pediment, to west face of tower; chamfered surround to single-light 1st floor window; re-used C16 elliptical-headed 3-light openings under hoodmould to 2nd stage. Projecting embattled parapet. 8-bay nave with gabled porch in west bay of each elevation: Columnar responds to pointed entrance arches; stone side benches, segment-headed inner doors. 8 windows (that over porch smaller), all in semicircular-headed surrounds with projecting keystones. 2 windows at east end. Cavetto eaves course to nave and chancel; stone copings with kneelers and ball finials to gables. Interior: Back of pew 97 in gallery incorporates re-used panels, carved with texts, dated 1633. Square painted panel (set diagonally), formerly a clock face, fastened to wall in lower ground floor, dated 1719 with inscription on brass plate: This clock was/given to this Church/by John Fothergill/of Brownber In the/Year 1719 Price Ten pounds. Painted text board to either side of chancel arch, northern dated 1747 but both may be earlier. George II coat-of-arms painted on panel opposite pulpit. Panelled partition across west end with gallery above carried on brackets; C17 closed-string stair, with turned balusters from tower. Inward-facing tiers of pews to main body of nave. Decoratively-panelled 3-decker pulpit, with tester, to north side. Chamfered semicircular chancel arch probably incorporates medieval responds. C18 communion rail, elliptical in plan, with turned balusters; C17 panelled door re-used for vestry on north side in chancel. Ionic modillions to ceiling cornice in nave. Stone font at west end of nave has an C18 octagonal bowl on an earlier chamfered stem. Commemorative C19 east window "To the glory of God, and in memory of Mrs Gaunt, daughter of Anthony Fothergill, Brownber . She was the last female martyr burnt at Tyburn for the cause of the Protestant religion Oct.4, 1685".

Listing NGR: NY7223004265

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
74144
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/12862/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Le Mare. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].