This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

List entry Number: 1302344

Location

CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, THURGARTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Gonalston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-Mar-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 242013

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GONALSTON THURGARTON ROAD SK 64 NE (south side) 4/61 Church of St. Lawrence II Parish church. C14, rebuilt 1843 by Hine. Dressed coursed rubble and ashlar. Slate roofs. Coped gables with single ridge crosses to west and east nave, east chancel and porch. Buttressed. North west tower with stair turret, nave, north aisle, south porch and chancel. West end with single C19 3 light arched window with cusped tracery, hood mould and human head label stops. Over is a single C19 quatrefoil with hood mould and decorative label stops. The tower is set on a chamfered plinth, is of 2 stages with band and has a small spire with single lucarnes to west, east and north. The west wall has a single C19 arched light with cusped tracery, hood mould and human head labels tops. In the north wall is a single arched light. The bell chamber has in each side 2 arched openings each with cusped tracery, hood mould and human head label stops. The north east stair turret has 2 rectangular lights. The north aisle is set on a chamfered plinth and has 2 arched 2 light C19 windows each with cusped tracery, hood mould and human head label stops. The east wall has a single C19 arched 2 light window with cusped tracery, hood mould and human head label stops. The north chancel has an arched doorway with single small 2 light arched window above with Y tracery, hood mould and label stops. Over is evidence of an earlier north chapel arcade arch. To the left of the buttress is evidence of a small blocked pointed arch. The east end has a single restoredarched 3 light window with intersectingtracery, hood mould and label stops. The south chancel has 2 restored 2 light arched Y traceried windows each with hood mould and label stops. To the right of that on the left is an inset plaque to Mary Oldacres 1821. The south nave has 2 arched C19 3 light windows each with tracery, hood mould and human head label stops. The tracery of the window on the right is cupsed. The gabled porch has a chamfered arched entrance with hood mould and human head label stops. In the side walls are single windows each with 2 arched and cusped lights under a flat arch with hood mould and decorative label stops. Inner chamfered arched doorway with hood mould and human head label stops. Interior. Renewed 2 bay C14 nave arcade with double chamfered arches, broach stops, octagonal columns and responds and moulded capitals. To nave side is a continuous hood mould with label stops. Double chamfered nave and aisle tower arches. Double chamfered chancel arch with octagonal responds and moulded capitals. In the south chancel wall is an arched and cusped piscina. In the north wall, set into a recess, is a single low C14 octagonal column with moulded capital. The north aisle has a doorway to the stair turret. Remains of a pedestal piscina and a circular font. C17 altar rails with turned balusters. Many of the benches incorporate C18 panelling. C18 panelled pulpit. Remaining furniture C19 with octagonal font with decorated quatrefoil panels. Some C17 and C18 floor slabs. The north aisle has 3 early C14 damaged reclining effigies of the Heriz family, 2 of cross legged Knights and the third of Lady Mathilda in wimpole with head under an ogee arch decorated with crockets and further decorated with stiff leaf and more naturalistic foliage. On the north aisle north wall is a decorative ashlar memorial to those who died in the 1914-18 war. The inscription is flanked by panels with decorative arches over, each containing a single figure and biblical quotation in coloured glass. In the north east window of the north aisle are remains of C14 stained glass. On the north nave wall is a hatchment and on the south nave wall a board detailing "Donations to the Poor of Gonalston", dated "May 6th 1828".

Listing NGR: SK6821947463

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 68219 47463

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302344 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2017 at 08:05:30.

End of official listing