CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1288615
Date first listed:
14-May-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1288615.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jan-2021 at 06:09:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
Huntingdonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Grafham
National Grid Reference:
TL 15972 69154

Details

TL 16 NE GRAFHAM CHURCH ROAD (SOUTH SIDE)

6/2 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS 14.5.59

GV I

Parish church mainly C14 but plan suggests an earlier church on site. West tower with broach spire; nave, north aisle, south chapel and porch and chancel. Late C14 west tower of pebble and rubble stone with coursed stone ashlar to 2 stage diagonal buttressing and to quoins of C15 half octagonal newel staircase at south-east corner. Tower of 2 stages and bell stage. On splayed plinth with string courses between stages. West doorway (restored) of 2 chamfered orders in 4-centred head. C15 west window of 3 cinquefoil lights in 4-centred head with label and plain returns. Each wall of bell chamber has 2-light openings with cinquefoil heads with quatrefoil. in 2-centred arches. Moulded label continued as string course. Two-stage, ashlared broach spire on octagonal base with C17 obelisk pinnacles to broaches. One to south- east cut down. Two tiers of gabled spire lights. Mid C13 nave of rubble and pebble- stone. Plain tiled with crested ridge tiles and 2 gabled dormers to south side, each with leaded lights in pointed arches. C13 chancel. Mainly pebble and rubble stone. Plain tiled with gable end parapet. C13 north doorway with chamfered jambs in 2-centred head with roll moulded label and return stops. C15 two-light window on site of C15 opening. Early C13 east window, much restored in C16 or C17. Two early C13 windows in south wall. One of two and one of three lights with intersecting tracery in 2-centred arches. C14 south chapel. Pebble rubble on plinth. East window of 5 trefoil lights in 4-centred head with defaced mask stops. Two C14 windows (restored) of 2 lights in ogre arches with square heads. South porch rebuilt 1902. Pebblestone and rubble incorporating in west wall fragments of architecture and a mediaeval tomb slab with figure of a priest in vestments carved in relief. Interior C13 north arcade of 4 bays. Two-centred arches of 2 chamfered orders on round columns and capitals, the bases being concealed beneath the raised floor. Late C13 or early C14 south arcade. Of 2 bays. Two-centred arches on octagonal piers. C16 pent roof with original chamfered beams and moulded wall plate. C19 nave roof of 4 bays with 2 C17 roof trusses surviving. The beams with jackposts supported on stone corbels. North aisle has C16 roof of 5 bays. Moulded principals and longitudinal beams. Two surviving jackposts and bracing originally on corbels, now removed. C15 rood staircase in south-east corner. Four-centred, hollow moulded arch to entry. C13 chancel arch rebuilt. Two-centred arch of one chamfered order. C13 piscina in south wall of chancel. Of 2 bays. Two chamfered orders in 2-centred heads, on round columns with moulded octagonal capitals and bases. C14 font, tapering octagonal bowl on round stem with plinth. Each face carved. Fragments of C16 work in bench at west end of nave. RCHM (Hunts) p 116, item (1). Pevsner (Buildings of England) p 252.

Listing NGR: TL1597269154

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
399174
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926), 116
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Bedfordshire, Huntingdon and Peterborough, (1968), 252

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Jun 2000
Reference: IOE01/02584/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr D.J Stacey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].