CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1281100
Date first listed:
14-Feb-1983
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH HILL

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1281100.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 16:25:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Eastleigh (District Authority)
Parish:
West End
National Grid Reference:
SU 46598 14110

Details

1. 5230 WEST END CHURCH HILL

Church of St James SU 41 SE 6/166

II

2. 1890 by Sir Arthur Blomfield, replacing church built in 1838. Church in Gothic style of the 15th century, designed to include a (western?) tower which has not been built. Chancel with south chapel (apsidal east end) and north vestries. Nave with north and south aisles, of 4 bays, with 2 windows to clerestorey, one to aisle, buttress along aisle walls. Exterior has prominent red tile roofing, with stone copings to gables, carrying cross finials. Red brickwork (English bond) with flush stone dressings, stone band at cill height, plinth. Traceried windows of 2 lights to clerestorey, 3 to aisles, and large traceried east and west windows. Interior has double-hammer beam roof, full Perpendicular treatment, contemporary furnishings, including floor tiles in chancel. Ornate font, but also a Perpendicular font (apparently recovered from a local river; could have belonged to Hamble Priory Church). Plaque records the founding of the first church on 18 April 1836; this was struck by lightning in 1875.

Listing NGR: SU4753814840

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
355018
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16870/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Thomas Olding. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].