Roos Hall


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Roos Hall, Bungay Road, Beccles, NR34 8HE


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1280729.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2021 at 20:00:37.


Statutory Address:
Roos Hall, Bungay Road, Beccles, NR34 8HE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Suffolk (District Authority)
National Park:
National Grid Reference:


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 30/10/2019

TM 49 SW 1/15 TM 48 NW 1A/15


(Formerly listed as Roos Hall, BARSHAM ROAD)


I 16th century. Initials TBC for Thomas Colby for whom the hall was built and d. 1593 which is considered the completion date. Three storeys and attic. Red brick embattled parapet, crow stepped gables. Octagonal buttresses at corners with moulded brick pinnacles. Plain tiles. Brick octagonal chimneys with moulded caps and bases.

Three windows to entrance front, brick mullion transom, with drip moulds. Ground and first floors have pediments. These windows have imitation stone quoins and heads in cement in some cases removed to show original treatment. Main entrance door with four-centred arch in moulded brick with square headed drip mould.

Interior: stairs in oak with solid oak treads. There is an older staircase leading to the attic. There is original panelling. Several contemporary fireplaces in stone.

The hall was purchased by Sir John Suckling about 1600 and the property has recently returned to the present head of the family, who now resides there. NMR photos.

Listing NGR: TM4151190036


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Aug 2005
Reference: IOE01/14237/36
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr T. P. C. Bramer. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].