CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, ST ANDREW STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1268748.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 09-Aug-2020 at 07:07:50.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, ST ANDREW STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TL 32343 12564
TL3212NW ST ANDREW STREET 817-1/16/227 (South side) 12/04/73 Church of St Andrew
Anglican church. 1869-70, incorporating C15 doorway from earlier church on site, steeple completed 1875-6. Architect J Johnson Jnr., contractors Dove Bros. London. MATERIALS: flint with grey limestone dressings and bands, fine yellow sandstone windows. Welsh slated roofs with red ridge tiles. STYLE: high Victorian Gothic Revival, Early English and Decorated. PLAN: cruciform plan, 4 bay nave, half-octagonal chancel corner. West steeple, nave with aisles, transepts, chancel, north porch. EXTERIOR: west tower in 2 stages flint with limestone bands and quoins, with angle buttresses, surmounted by octagonal belfry, flanked by tall octagonal pinnacles with spirelets, with octagonal spire with lucarnes on alternate faces. Half octagonal stair turret on south side of tower. West doorway has roll moulded arch with carved poppy heads, supported on colonnettes with stiffleaf carved capitals. 2-light lancets above, with moulded arches on colonnettes. Octagonal belfry has large two light openings, with moulded arches and geometrical tracery supported on tall colonnettes, on alternate faces; arcaded band at base of spire. North porch in 2nd bay from west of north aisle has outer door with roll moulded jambs and intrados, moulded arches above colonnettes with stiff leaf capitals and dripmould with undercut ball flower ornament. Nave arcade clerestory in 4 bays with 2-light windows with bar tracery with alternating trefoils and quatrefoils, aisles subdivided by buttresses, with 3 lancets in each bay, with trefoil heads. North transept has tall gabled roof, with stone kneelers, coping and cross finial, with angle buttresses with 2 stages of offsets above stone band at window sill level and projecting plinth. Tall window, with colonnettes with foliated capitals, casement moulded arch with carved ball flowers and dripmould. Lower part of window has 2 lancets, each subdivided into two lights with trefoil heads and trefoils above, with large rose window with elaborate geometric tracery of central quatrefoil, circles, and trefoils with circles. Chancel at lower level than aisle roof, with half octagonal
end with east window, and 2 flanking windows of identical design, each having bar tracery of 3 lancets, with circle above, with inner cinquefoil. South transept, aisle and nave clerestory are repeats of those on the north side. INTERIOR: north porch incorporates late C15 inner doorway with hood mould on carved demi-figures of angels and quatrefoil decoration of spandrels. Church interior of Early English and decorated style. Tower has brick walls with sandstone decorative features; 2 light west lancet, tall Early English style tower arch with chamfered reveal and attached colonnettes with stiffleaf caps, and arch with undercut roll mouldings, outer arch full width of nave has tall colonnettes, with amulets, stiff leaf caps, and arch with carved dog tooth and poppy head ornament. Quadripartite groined vault springing from ornamental corbels carved with angels. Nave of 4 bays continues east into transepts. Nave arcade has circular sandstone columns with bold roll bases, raised on square brick plinths, with stiff leaf bell caps with bold undercut roll mouldings. Nave arcade arches have chamfered intrados, and are carried on twin attached colonnettes at east and west responds. Clerestory has 2-light sandstone windows with trefoil heads and geometrical tracery, within brick walls. Roof of timber arch braced construction raised on corbel with stiffleaf ornament. Scissor rafters above support purlins and there are scissor rafters at every third common rafter between arch-braced bay divisions. Aisles have brick walls with deeply inset lancets, 3 in each bay, west window to aisles are paired lancets with roundels above. Aisle roofs have low arch braces raised on corbels at bay divisions, with chamfered purlins. Low chamfered arches raised on corbels open with transepts. The transepts consist of wide bays continuing the line of the nave eastwards. Transept arches have twin chamfered form, flanked by tall paired colonnettes, with amulets and stiff leaf caps, and roll moulded bases. Brick walls and stone decorative features, large transept windows as described externally. Blessed Sacrament Chapel, originally organ chamber opens off north transept, organ resited off south transept in 1890. Chancel arch has tall twin arches with colonnettes and amulets, stiff leaf caps. Outer arch with carved dog tooth ornament; inner arch with stylised poppy heads. Chancel projects as 2 narrow bays divided by tall colonnettes with stiff leaf capitals, with polygonal apsidal end, ornament of decorated style, with blind arcading of geometrical traceried paired lancets flanked by tall colonnettes, with
inner lower crocketed canopies, on blank walls matching style of windows in apsidal end. Roof boarded between ribs with nailhead ornament. Chancel floor raised 3 steps from nave. Encaustic tile floor. FITTINGS: altar area raised 2 steps above chancel. Altar and reredos installed 1914, in memory of Rev Evan Killin Rector 1897-1913. Carved with gilded marble, mosaic panels. Choir stalls oak, with arcaded frontals, installed 1905. The pews in the nave are of similar date, with bench ends carved with the emblems of St Andrew (cross), St Nicholas (anchor) and St Mary (fleur-de-lys). Altar stone in Blessed Sacrament Chapel incised with crosses and has a cavity for reception of relics. It was discovered during excavations on the Old Cross site of the former St Mary's Church in 1898 during construction of the Library. Pulpit constructed 1888 in 13th century style, grey Forest of Dean stone, red Devon marble, green Connemara marble, and cream Caen stone. Octagonal form, base with 8 columns with red marble shafts, square plinths and bases, and stiffleaf caps, top divided into panels by green Connemara colonnettes. Pierced arcaded frontal with traceried openings, under green marble moulded top rail. Font, at west end in front of tower arch was raised on present stepped podium in 1890, cream sandstone, C14 style, octagonal, with arcaded surround to bowl with ogee arches. MEMORIALS: include several reset from earlier church, including 15 black or cream incised slabs dispersed through nave and transepts of C17-C18 date, among most important being Rebecca and Bostock Toller (d.1718, 1721) a large black marble slab incised with inscriptions and with relief carved armorial hatchments and 'memento mori'. South transept has large wall tablet, white marble on black marble background slab, commemorating Nathaniel Dimsdale, Baron of the Empire of all the Russias, (d.1811), who together with his father, had inoculated Catherine the Great against smallpox, and had been the Divisional MP. The tablet also commemorates other members of the Dimsdale family. STAINED GLASS: late C19 chancel windows, east window Crucifiction, with Christ in Majesty in rounded above, attributed to Hardman, north-east and north-west windows in style of C16 glass show St John and St Andrew and the Virgin Mary, and Archbishop Theodore, St Nicholas, and a centurion. Vestry block/hall attached at rear, flint with stone dressings, lancet windows with leaded-light lattice glazing, stone parapeted gables, Welsh slated roof. Linked to C20 hall, of no special interest. HISTORICAL NOTE: the foundation stone of St Andrew's was laid on 4 June 1869 by Earl Cowper (at base of left-hand buttress
of north transept) and the Church was consecrated on 24 March 1870. In 1874, with money donated by Earl Cowper and Ralph Abel Smith, the tower and spire were added and the bells rehung. (Victoria History of the Counties of England: Hertfordshire: London: 1902-1912: 707-8; Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England): An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire: London: 1910-: 112-3; Hertfordshire Countryside: Moodey G: Old buildings in the County Town: Letchworth: 1946-1973: 45; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Hertfordshire: Harmondsworth: 1977-: 185; Page FM: History of Hertford: Hertford: 1993-: 19, 125, 174; Turnor L: History of Hertford: Hertford: 1830-: 249-74; St Andrew's PCC: Hertford St Andrew: 1977-).
Listing NGR: TL3234312564
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1902), 707-708
Page, F M, History of Hertford, (1993), 19 125 174
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 185
St Andrews Parochial Church Council, , Hertford St Andrew, (1977)
Turnor, L , History of Hertford, (1830), 249-274
'Hertfordshire Countryside' in Hertfordshire Countryside, (1946-1973), 45
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing