This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1242163

Location

CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Rushcliffe

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ratcliffe on Soar

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 441518

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

RATCLIFFE ON SOAR CHURCH LANE SK 42 NE (north side) 3/52 Church of Holy Trinity 13.10.66 G.V. I Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C18, restored 1891. Ashlar, dressed coursed rubble, some red brick. Lead and slate roofs. Parapets to nave, chancel and north aisle. Coped gables, single ridge cross to east chancel. Buttressed, apart from the tower. Tower with spire, nave, aisles, south porch, north chapel and chancel. C13 dressed coursed rubble tower with ashlar quoins, set on a splayed plinth with band over, of 3 stages with bands, corbel table and single corner pinnacles. Topped with early C14 broach spire with 2 tiers of 4 lucarnes. West side of the tower has a single C13 lancet with single similar smaller lancet above and 2 tie plates. North, south and west sides each with single C13 arched bell chamber openings, each opening with 2 pointed arched lights and hood mould. East bell chamber with single pointed arched light and hood mould, evidence of former nave roof. North aisle is on a low chamfered plinth with further chamfer extending under the sills. Projecting from the west wall is a single large stepped buttress. In the north wall is a blocked round arched doorway. To the left are 2 C18 round arched windows. Clerestory with 2 rectangular lights. The north wall of the chapel has a single small lancet with single smaller lancet in the east wall. The chancel is set on a low chamfered plinth and has in the east wall a single large C14 arched 4 light window with geometric tracery, hood mould and continuous sill band. The south wall has 3 pairs of C13 lancets. To the right of the left pair is a blocked chamfered arched doorway with hood mould and decorative label stops. The south aisle is set on a chamfered plinth with moulded band extending over. The east wall has a single 3 light arched window with hood mould. The south wall has 2 C14 arched 3 light windows with cusped tracery, hood moulds and label stops. There are 2 'S' tie plates. To the left is the gabled porch, set on a similar plinth, with double chamfered arched entrance and 2 'S' tie plates. Inner C14 moulded arched doorway with hood mould and C17 stud door. Sides of the porch with brick benches. The west wall of the aisle has a single pair of arched and cusped lights. Interior. 3 bay C14 nave arcades, hexgonal columns with moulded capitals, wide plinths, chamfered and moulded arches, hood mould with single label stop to south side. Responds consist of moulded capitals, that to the south east decorated with nail head and further supported on a carved human head. Double chamfered C13 tower arch, the outer order supported on colonnettes with shaft rings. Hood mould and single blocked opening over. Double chamfered chancel arch, the inner order supported on octagonal responds with moulded capitals. North aisle/north chapel double chamfered arch, the north side fore-shortened, the south side supported on an octagonal respond with moulded capital. 2 bay chancel/chapel arcade with single circular column and octagonal responds with moulded capitals, double chamfered arches. South chancel with C14 tripartite arched and cusped sedilia arches supported on colonnettes with fillets. To the left is a single arched and cusped piscina. North chancel wall has a C14 moulded arched tomb recess arch supported on single colonnettes with fillets. Under the south west window of the chancel is an ashlar bench. South aisle, south wall has a pointed arched piscina. Chancel with C13 ashlar altar piece, altar rails with C17 turned balusters. South aisle with C17 carved altar table. Oak chest with some C17 carving. C14 octagonal ashlar font with C17 cover. Furthr C19 font, remaining furniture C19. The C15 nave, chancel and aisle roofs with chamfered beams, nave roof also with carved bosses. In the tower are the remains of 2 C13 ashlar coffins. In the nace, chancel and south aisle are a number of C18, C19 floor slabs. The south aisle also with worn C13 floor slab with incised carved figures. North aisle has 2 similar slabs, one of a C15 priest, the other of C16 male and female figures. The north chapel with several similar C15 and C16 slabs including one of a female figure. C13 floor slab in the chancel and further floor slab to Ann Darly, 1667. Against the south chancel wall is the alabaster monument to Henrie Sacheverell, d.l625. There is a recumbant figure of a kniight with head on a visor, the sides of the tomb decorated with shields and front with 3 figures of children flanked by inscriptions and decorative strips. Set into the wall above are the kneeling figures of his 3 wives, flanked by Corinthian columns supporting cornice. Over are 2 small panelled pilasters supporting a round arch with keystone, containing a shield of arms. Pilasters are flanked by decorative strapwork. Between chancel and chapel is the alabaster monument to Henrie and Jane Sacheverell, c.1590, the sides of the tomb are decorated with figures, shields and strapwork, and it is surmounted by 2 recumbant figures, he in the attire of a knight. The alabaster monument to Henry Sacheverell and his wife, 1558, is decorated around the sides with 17 figures holding blind shields. The tomb is surmounted by 2 recumbant figures, he in attire of a knight with feet on a dog. Set into the north wall of the chapel is an alabaster monument to Ralph Sacheverell and his wife, 1539, the sides of the tomb decorated with cusped lozenges containing blind shields, 2 recumbant figures and niche over. Reveal of niche decorated with carved figures set into cusped arches, further decorated with cusped blind tracery. Soffits also decorated with blind tracery.

Listing NGR: SK4948328898

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 49483 28898

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1242163 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2017 at 08:06:08.

End of official listing