CHURCH OF ST PETER AD VINCULA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1237037
Date first listed:
16-Mar-1954
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Jul-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AD VINCULA

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1237037.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Aug-2020 at 04:48:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AD VINCULA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
East Hampshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Colemore and Priors Dean
National Park:
SOUTH DOWNS
National Grid Reference:
SU 70600 30762

Details

COLEMORE & PRIORS DEAN COLEMORE SU 73 SW 4/1 Church of St Peter ad Vincula (formerly listed as 'Church of 16.3.54 St Peter') GV II* Parish church. c11, C12, C17, restorations of 1874 and 1975. Flint and rubble stone walls, almost entirely covered in cement render, stone buttresses (1612 and 1874): windows mainly Victorian cusped lancets, but a small Norman window in the Transept, a small late C12 lancet and a larger C13 lancet, with west window being coupled lancets beneath a quatrefoil, triple lancets at the east end. Plain roof, hipped above the transept, with a higher ridge above the end, ending with a bell turret (1866) with a broach spire. Single cell church, with a north transept (and Norman arch), south porch (1874), the east end having been refaced in 1874, and the west end raised to form a belfry in 1612 (rebuilt 1866). Plain interior: piscinas to chapel and transept, which has a small slype, remains of a rood stair, easter sepulchre (restored), C15 wood screen, C17 nave roof, anda Purbeck C12 font (a panelled square on drum and corner columns). There are wall monuments of 1692, 1748 and 1814, floor slabs, a floor brass of 1718, and 2 old bells (of 1380 and 1627) hung in the nave.

Listing NGR: SU7066030801

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
143133
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06198/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Paul T. Currie. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].