This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1231030

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: East Staffordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Okeover

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Jan-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 406051

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 14 NE OKEOVER C.P. OKEOVER PARK 3/124 Church of All Saints 12/1/66

GV II*

Former parish church now estate church. Early C14, restored 1856-8 to the designs of Sir George Gilbert Scott. Ashlar; shaped tile roof with plain tile bands and moulded coped verges. West tower with diagonal buttresses, 2-bay nave and 2-bay chancel under one roof line, with diagonal buttresses to east and buttresses at division of nave and chancel, south porch. West tower: 3 stages marked by strings, restored West door with roll and fillet moulded pointed arch with hood mould over; C15 West window of 2 cinquefoil-headed lights and central mullion under a 4-centred arch, niche above window partly obscured by plant growth at time of resurvey (October 1984); clock to north side of second stage; louvred belfry openings with Y-tracery under a 4-centred arch and hood moulds terminating in grotesque heads; crenellated parapet with corner finials. Nave: windows have Y- tracery and hood moulds; Chancel has 2-light windows with a single reticulation over, beneath a pointed arch and hood moulds terminating in heads, east window of 3 trefoil-headed lights, the central one ogeed, the outer ones rounded, and Decorated tracery over, hood mould terminating in male and female heads; nave and chancel have roll and fillet moulded parapet string to moulded coped parapet, foliated hollow below string and gargoyles at intervals. Interior: Tall pointed tower arch; C19 nave roof of arch braced rafters, chancel roof of decorative wooden panels; piscina probably C18 with project- ing bowl resting on a bust. Fittings: Mid-to-late C19 font, pedestal surrounded by marble alcoves with naturalistic foliated capi- tals, bowl has a quatrefoil recess in each side with foliage decoration; rood screen dated 1855 by Scott, 3 open work panels to each side of central ogee arch, elaborately carved with foliage; choir stalls by Scott carved with foliage; wooden pulpit mid-to-late C19 with stone base and steps, ornately carved with foliage and twisted colonettes with foliated capitals. Monuments: Palimpsest brass originally commemorating William Lord Zouche (d. 1447) and Alice (Seymour) his wife, with another wife and has been altered to a memorial for Sir Humphrey Okeover, esq. (d.1538). Marble memorial to Leak and Mary Okeover died 1765 and 1764 by Wilton, surmounted by an angel holding a wreath in one hand and a torch in the other and resting on an urn with the superimposed profiles of a man and woman on the base. Stained glass: Some C14 glass in east window; S.E. nave window by Warrington 1857. B.O.E. P.216; Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire (1884).

Listing NGR: SK1585148128

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 216
'Kellys Directory' in Birmingham Staffordshire and Warwickshire, (1884)

National Grid Reference: SK 15851 48128

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1231030 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2017 at 04:05:31.

End of official listing