Machine Gun Corps Memorial


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:
Machine Gun Corps Memorial, Piccadilly W1


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1226874.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2020 at 18:22:21.


Statutory Address:
Machine Gun Corps Memorial, Piccadilly W1

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Greater London Authority
City of Westminster (London Borough)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:


War memorial. 1925. Francis Derwent Wood, sculptor.

Reasons for Designation

The Machine Gun Corps Memorial is listed at Grade II* for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: the memorial is of clear note as a tribute to a specific branch of the armed services, and its minute depiction of machine guns shows the importance of this relatively new weapon in contemporary warfare. The inscription is a bleak reflection in its deadly effectiveness; * Commemorative interest: its unusual juxtaposition of classical beauty with military hardware is expressive of commemorative approaches in the 1920s, as designers sought to combine the actuality of combat with the humanist traditions of sculpted memorials; * Sculptural interest: Derwent Wood was a sculptor of considerable renown, and his figure of David embodies his aesthetic approach to modelling, and his indebtedness to classicism and Renaissance sculpture; * Group Value: the memorial is situated close to Apsley House, and to a number of other notable military memorials. It forms an interesting contrast to the nearby Royal Artillery Memorial, another monument devoted to a specific branch of the Army, which also prominently features its weapons.


This memorial was unveiled on 10 May 1925 by the Duke of Connaught. It commemorates the 15,552 fatalities suffered by the Machine Gun Corps (MCG) from its raising in October 1915 until its disbanding in July 1922. Its front-line exposure to danger won it the nickname of ‘The Suicide Club’. At the start of war, the British Army was lightly equipped with this weapon (which effectively dated from Sir Hiram Maxim’s machine gun design of 1884), but numbers increased rapidly as its effectiveness became apparent, leading to the foundation of the MGC. The Vickers machine guns depicted here were patented in 1912. According to some sources, the depictions here were actual examples of machine gun, covered in bronze: however, they appear to be carefully prepared replicas.

This unusual memorial celebrates human beauty and the vulnerability of flesh; the juxtaposition with two fearsome weapons, and a biblical inscription extolling body counts, is still powerful. The monument originally stood on a small traffic island to the south of the Royal Artillery Memorial; dismantled after 1945 it was installed in its present position in 1962. A reduced version of Wood’s figure formed another war memorial, in Cheyne Walk, Chelsea: this was stolen in 1969. Another version of the David statue is held by the National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne, Australia. Francis Derwent Wood RA (1871-1926), a prominent exponent of the New Sculpture, was best-known for his mythological figural works and portrait sculpture, steeped in classical and Renaissance inspirations. During the First World War he worked in a London hospital, creating prosthetic masks for disfigured ex-servicemen to wear in order to disguise their wounds. No stranger, therefore, to the brutal impact of war, his 1919 statue ‘Canada’s Golgotha’ had to be withdrawn from the Royal Academy following complaints from the German Ambassador about its portrayal of an alleged atrocity. Opinions remain divided about the appropriateness of a naked statue beside machine guns, and of the biblical text. It remains a challenging memorial, very much of its day in its aestheticism deployed to serve military remembrance, but still capable of prompting reflection on the pathos of war and its modern mechanical reality.

The memorial is in the guardianship of English Heritage.


MATERIALS: bronze statue and machine guns; pedestal of pale grey Italian marble.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial comprises a standing naked figure holding a two-handed sword, representing David. He stands on a tall pedestal, square in section, to which are attached lower wings: on these stand Vickers machine guns, accurately depicted, each with two laurel wreaths around the gun barrel. Beneath each is a tin helmet, and a tool bag. The front of the central pedestal is inscribed “ERECTED TO / COMMEMORATE / THE GLORIOUS / HEROES / OF THE / MACHINE GUN / CORPS / WHO FELL IN / THE GREAT / WAR / Saul hath slain his thousands / but David his tens of thousands”. On the reverse of the memorial is a lengthy inscription setting out the history of the unit, and its casualties.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Ward-Jackson, P, Public Sculpture of Historic Westminster Vol 1, (2011)
War Memorials Online, accessed 10 February 2017 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 10 February 2017 from
Crellin S, ‘Hollow Men: Francis Derwent Wood’s Masks and Memorials’, Sculpture Journal vol VI (2001), 75-88,
The National Archives, file Work 20/146.,


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Oct 2005
Reference: IOE01/14497/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Rau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].