PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1226274
Date first listed:
31-Aug-1962
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, SCHOOL LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1226274.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2021 at 17:57:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, SCHOOL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Conington
National Grid Reference:
TL 32011 66059

Details

TL 36NW CONINGTON SCHOOL LANE (South Side)

5/13 Parish Church 31.8.62 of St. Mary

II*

Parish church. Fragments of re-used C12 stone. Tower, C14, nave rebuilt and tower buttressed c.1737 by Dingley Askham, inscription on wall monument 'in the Year 1737 he rebuilt this Church'. Family vault c.1740 south of nave and at half-basement level. Chancel rebuilt 1871, by W.M. Fawcett. Restorations 1902 and 1911 when the broach spire was rebuilt. Walls of pebble and limestone rubble, partly stuccoed; limestone and clunch dressings; ashlar spire, C18 red, and white brick. Lead and plain tile roofs. North elevation. Chancel with angle buttresses and parapet gable, two, Y-tracery windows flank central two-centred arched priest's door. Nave of C18 red brick with rusticated window jambs originally stuccoed with limestone imposts and key blocks. Large splayed red brick buttresses to tower; tower walls stuccoed to belfry height with restored two-trefoiled-light belfry window with quatrefoil, plain parapet; octagonal spire with roll-moulded angles and gabled spire-lights on cardinal faces. Five rainwater heads c.1737. Interior. Nave windows flanked internally by elliptical-headed recesses with keystones each with monuments to the Askham and Cotton families, (see R.C.H.M.), of note, one to Dame Alice Cotton, 1657 by Joshua Marshall (1629-1678); to Robert Cotton 1697 with signature 'G. Gibbons fecit', incised on a palm leaf at the base of the medallion, the only known monument to be signed by Grinling Gibbons; to Francis and Mary Askham 1748 and to Dingley Askham, 1781. For other monuments and floor slabs see R.C.H.M. Gallery with front of turned balusters, c.1737. Boarded C19 barrel roofs. Reset piscena C14 in chancel. Bell thought to be by William Brazier of Norwich c.1376 one of the earliest in the country. Reset C14 glass. Cole MSS CRO R.C.H.M. West Cambs Mon.1, p.55 Pevsner. Buildings of England p.324 Raven J.J. Church Bells of Cambs p.12-13 Gunnis, R. Dictionary of British Sculptors pp. 167,254

Listing NGR: TL3201166059

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
423476
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gunnis, R, Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851, (1953), 167 254
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 324
Raven, J J , Church Bells of Cambridgeshire
Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire West, (1968)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 May 2000
Reference: IOE01/01838/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Jenkins. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].