CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1221328
Date first listed:
28-Oct-1974
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HORDLE LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1221328.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2020 at 15:11:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HORDLE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
New Forest (District Authority)
Parish:
Hordle
National Grid Reference:
SZ 27360 95088

Details

LYMINGTON

693/9/230 HORDLE LANE 28-OCT-1974 HORDLE (East side) CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

GV II

Church, sited on the edge of Hordle Village and adjacent to a C19 former school. 1872 by CE Giles in Early English Gothic style; 1967 W end vestry block added on W end in 1967. MATERIALS: English bond red brick with stone bands and dressings and some blue brick banding, stone crosses on E gable of nave and chancel. Slate roof, some retaining original coloured slate bands; crested ridge tiles. PLAN: Nave, chancel, NE organ chamber/vestry block; unfinished SW tower.

EXTERIOR: The chancel has a triple lancet E window with shafts with carved capitals and carved roundels in the spandrels. The nave is buttressed with grouped lancet windows. The tower has set-back buttresses, a polygonal SW stair turret and a richly-moulded S doorway with nook shafts with stiff-leaf capitals; sexafoil above. The upper stage of the unfinished tower is louvered below a low pyramidal roof. The W window is partly obscured by the 1967 W end addition. It consists of 2 paired lancets with trefoil plate tracery in the heads with a roundel in the gable. The organ chamber/vestry block is buttressed and has lancet windows and a N doorway.

INTERIOR: The interior has whitened brick walls with stone bands. Tall triple-moulded chancel arch with engaged shafts with stiff-leaf capitals. Canted timber nave roof with diagonal boarding behind the rafters. Coved chancel roof with a trefoil profile and a frieze of pierced arches above the wallplate. The E window has a cusped internal arch and shafts with stiff-leaf capitals. 5-bay reredos with carved gabled canopies on squat polished marble columns. The centre bay has a sculpted figure of Christ in Glory, the flanking bays have symbols of the evangelists in mosaic. Attractive aumbry/piscina/sedilia ensemble in SE corner of the chancel. Pretty painted organ case. Choir stalls with shaped ends, the frontals with a pierced frieze. Polygonal stone pulpit with pietra dura panels under gables. Font with commemoration date of 1870 with octagonal bowl with carved sides. Nave benches with rounded shouldered ends. Brass eagle lectern with commemoration date of 1882. C19 and C20 stained glass; several brass wall plaques.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: Of special interest as a competent Gothic Revival 1872 village church by CE Giles, with attractive contemporary chancel fittings and an unusual painted organ case. The W end is partly obscured by a 1967 extension, which is not of special interest. The church has good group value with the former church school (qv).

SOURCES: Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Hampshire, 1967, p 296

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
413117
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Feb 2006
Reference: IOE01/15231/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stephen Park. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].