PARISH CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1213455
Date first listed:
05-Sep-1960
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, NALLER'S LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1213455.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2021 at 21:30:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, NALLER'S LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Dorset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Askerswell
National Grid Reference:
SY 52994 92588

Details

SY 59 SW ASKERWELL NALLER'S LANE

3/6 Parish Church of St Michael 5.9.60 GV II* Parish Church. C15 west tower. Nave and north aisle, chancel and south porch rebuilt 1858, CA (tablet on south porch) in Perpendicular style. Random rubble walls with dressed stone bands. Slate roof with stone gable-copings. West tower, C15, of 3 stages with set-back buttresses and set-offs. Moulded plinth. West door- way with moulded jambs 4-centred head and a shield in each spandrel. Plinth moulding carried up over doorhead. 2-leaf C20 plank door. Half-octagonal south stair-turret. Nave of 3 bays without clear storey, windows are 3-light trefoil-cusped with panel tracery over. Returned labels. Chancel of one bay, 2-light window of the same style. East window of 3-lights with a quatrefoil in the centre of the head. South porch, pointed-arch entrance with moulded jambs. Inner doorway, pointed arch with a straight chamfer and pyramid stops. 2-leaf plank door with ornamental strap-hinges, C19. North aisle, C19, under a pentice slate roof, simple 2-light windows with quatrefoil heads. Interior: 3 bays. North arcade on octagonal piers with moulded capitals, and chamfered and quirked arches. Tower arch has panelled jambs and soffit, C15. Roofs: of arch- braced collar-beam type carried on stone corbels, C19. Fittings: font, late C12, stone circular bowl decorated with continuous intersecting arches on colonettes with imposts. Stone cylindrical stem with interlace cable and spur feet. Brass indent, in tower, stone slab (top part missing) with indent of foliated cross and marginal inscription in separate capitals. Slab forms part of tomb stone to Thomas de Luda and Eleanor his wife, c.1320, formerly in Abbotsbury Abbey. Inscription records gift of Holywell to the abbey. Other half of slab in Whitechurch Canonicorum church. Image: on west wall of the tower, carved stone panel of the Crucifixion with the Virgin and St John, C15. RCHM Dorset I, p 12 (1).

Listing NGR: SY5299492588

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
105026
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1952), 12

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Mar 2006
Reference: IOE01/11705/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Trevor Fenwick. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].