This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST LUKE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LUKE

List entry Number: 1188903

Location

CHURCH OF ST LUKE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Endon and Stanley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Dec-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 274624

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ENDON & STANLEY C.P. ENDON BANK SJ 95 SW 4/133 - Church of St Luke

GV II

Parish church. Tower C17, the remainder 1876-9 by Beardmore. Coursed squared and dressed sandstone; slate, red and blue tile roofs; verge parapets, chancel with gabletted kneelers. Tower, north and south aisles, south porch, nave, chancel. Tower: simple C17 work of 3 stages without buttresses; cavetto string under crenellated parapet with short crocketed pinnacles at angles; paired round-arch bell chamber openings; steps on west face to segmental-headed, boarded door, single-light window over. South aisle: 3 bays, on plinth, 3- and 2-light segmental-headed windows with pointed trefoil-headed lights, gabled porch to west side of south face; double chamfered labelled pointed arch. North aisle: similar to south, of 3 bays of 3-light windows. Nave: has eaves set above aisles and slate roof of awkwardly low pitch. Chancel: very typical of Beardmore's work in the area, 1 1/2 bays (red tile roof with crested ridge) labelled segmental-headed 4-light window similar to aisles; 3-light, pointed east window headed by cinquefoil; gabled vestry to north side. Interior: arcades of 3 bays of round columns and pointed arches; pointed chancel arch on corbelled columns below imposts; fine Minton encaustic tile floor to nave; king post, tie beam roof, trussed rafters to chancel. Font: stone, octagonal, on marble legs; small oak fretted and cusped ogee spire cover. Pulpit: 3-sided bay set against chancel; columnated and heavily carved; on stone base. Glass: east window by Morris & Co, 1893. Memorials: Heaton 1824 and Evans 1826 to left of west wall; tapered marble plaques on slate grounds; under left-hand is a small multi-coloured glazed tile to August Selwyn, first Bishop of New Zealand.

Listing NGR: SJ9281253800

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 92812 53800

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1188903 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2017 at 04:05:06.

End of official listing