CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1188364
Date first listed:
29-Dec-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH HILL

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1188364.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Aug-2020 at 07:15:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
Harborough (District Authority)
Parish:
Scraptoft
National Grid Reference:
SK 64761 05577

Details

SCRAPTOFT SK 60 NW CHURCH HILL (East Side)

1/85 Church of All Saints

29.12.66

GV I

Church. C13-C15, restored 1867. Coursed squared stone and rubble stone, mostly granite rubble stone in S aisle, with stone dressings and leaded roofs. Stone coped gables and parapet to chancel. W tower, nave, aisles, chancel and S porch. Tower of 2 stages with S angle buttresses, W buttress and N diagonal buttress, all with set-offs. Small S door with blocked 1-light over. 4 simple Perp 2-light bell openings, battlements and crocketted pinnacles. Blocked nave arch of which hood mould remains. Small C19 W door from nave to tower. 4 bay arcades with 2 wide arches and a narrower arch at either end. Double chamfered arches on octagonal piers. Perp clerestory with 3 2-light N windows and 4 similar S windows. C15 4 bay low-pitch tie-beam truss roof with carved bosses and blind arcading in gables. N aisle has restored windows, the N W with Curvilinear tracery and mid C19 stained glass, the 2 N with Intersected tracery and stained glass of 1899 by A. Ballantine and Gardiner, Edinburgh, and the N E with Reticulated tracery. N many-moulded doorway. Restored C15 4 bay low-pitch tie-beam truss roof with carved bosses. Double chamfered chancel arch, the inner supported on carved head corbels. Chancel has 2 blocked windows to both N and S. E window with Curvilinear tracery and stained glass of 1893. C15 3 bay low-pitch tie-beam truss roof with blind arcading in gables. S aisle has 3 Perp windows, 2 with mid 1920's stained glass (peacock monogram) and another of 1979 by John Hayward. S W window with Curvilinear tracery and mid C19 stained glass. Small niche and c1300 S doorway. C15 4 bay low-pitch tie-beam truss roof with carved bosses and heads and blind arcading in gables. C19 gable S porch, the upper part of wooden open work. C13 round font. Series of C18 finely carved slate tomb slabs in chancel. Series of C18/early C19 wall monuments including those to Sir Edward Wigley, died 1710, and wife (2 fine busts), James Wigley, died 1765, and Andrew Noel, died 1736. C14 recumbent effigy of a priest, said to be a Prior of Coventry, now set sideways in N chancel wall : much defaced. Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SK6476105577

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
190743
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1960)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00529/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr P J Rawson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].