CHRIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1188268
Date first listed:
16-Nov-1984
Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, CHURCH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1188268.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2021 at 20:10:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Elmbridge (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 13779 64705

Details

TQ 16SW BOROUGH OF ELMBRIDGE CHURCH STREET

Esher

5/71

Christ Church

GV

II

Church. 1853-54 by Benjamin Ferrey. Coursed Buff rubblestone with stone dressings. plain tiled roofs and stone broach spire. Large church ,west tower , nave and aisles with porches, transepts and chancel to east. West tower with angle buttresses , stone dressed 2-light windows, a clock face in the broach stage of the spire to each face. Wooden C19 pentice roof extension across the ground floor of the west front. 2-light trefoil head windows throughout the church, lancet windows to clerestory. Arched south door with strapwork hinges, finely carved bosses to hood moulding. Interior : Whitewashed, 4-bay nave arcades on round piers with moulded capitals. Tower arch in 4-step surround with crowned head corbels, screen across the bottom. Painted wooden gallery above. Thin columned chancel arch with angel figures on outer arch moulding. 4-bay chancel with large, moulded, arch to south chancel chapel, organ to the north. Fittings: stained glass in east window by Sir Ninian Comper, 1909. Stone bowl and stem font with supporting columns, crocketed wooden cover. C19 pulpit with sounding board, fretwork band to the top. Monuments: North wall: Prince Leopold Duke of Albany. 1884 by F. J. Williamson. Aedicular type with marbled arched niche in piers to either side with flanking Flemish-style pilasters. Low relief floral decoration to ends, panelled across the top with a strap- work globe and finial crest. White stone bust to centre. South Aisle Wall : To Richard Drake. Died 1603. "Kneeler" type. Marble and gilt Corinthian columns to either side of central niche. Strapwork gilt crest to top. Male kneeling figure in armour facing to left, inscribed plinth below. Strapwork decorated apron to bottom. Choir vestry : Marble effigy of Leopold King of the Belgians. 1867 by Susan D. Durant. Transferred from St. George's chapel, Windsor. PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p221.

Listing NGR: TQ1377964705

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
286634
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 221

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/02591/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Christopher Fransella. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].