CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HIGH STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1177777.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 28-Jan-2021 at 06:22:57.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HIGH STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Melton (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 77947 10492
SK 7610 - 7710 SOMERBY HIGH STREET
(west side) 19/138 Church of All Saints 1.1.68
Parish church. C12, C13, C14. Restored 1714, 1763, further restored 1865 and chancel restored 1883 by R. W. Johnson. North transept (vestry) added by T. Bown, 1887. Coursed and squared ironstone with limestone ashlar dressings and plain tile and lead roofs. C19 lateral and octagonal gable stone stacks. Central tower with spire, nave with clerestory, north aisle, north transept, chancel, south aisle, south porch. Central tower, 3 stages, has moulded sill band, 2 string courses, moulded eaves cornice with 4 gargoyles, crenellated parapet and 4 corner buttresses with setoffs. South face has a restored Decorated double lancet and above it, a stair light. Bell stage has on each face a C14 double lancet bell opening with hood mould. To south, a datestone over the opening, inscribed '1714'. To east, a clock. Setback octagonal spire has 2 tiers of gabled lucarnes with crosses and double lancet openings and above, finial and weathercock. Nave, 3 bays, has coped west gable with central stack. West end has a Geometrical triple lancet with hood mould. Clerestory has on each side, 3 double lancets with 4 centred arched heads. All these windows are of 1865. Unbuttressed north aisle, 4 bays, has chamfered plinth. WEst end has a Decorated triple lancet with flat head. North side has to west a blocked cove moulded C14 doorway flanked to left by a Decorated triple lancet with cusped intersecting tracery, and to right by a Decorated double lancet with flat head. Beyond, to left, a reticulated triple lancet. All these windows are of 1865. All the openings have hood moulds and stops. North transept has moulded plinth and sill band and north gable with double gabled flanking buttresses. North gable has a Decorated triple lancet with hood mould and mask stops. East side has a roll moulded doorway. Unbuttressed chancel, 2 bays, has sill band, moulded eaves and moulded parapet and gable with cross. North side has a C14 Decorated double lancet flanked to left by a chamfered round headed doorway and to right by a C13 chamfered low side lancet. East end has a Geometrical triple lancet. South side has 2 restored C14 Decorated double lancets flanked to west by a small low side double lancet with flat head. All the openings have hood moulds. Unbuttressed south aisle, 4 bays, has an off-centre porch flanked to west by a Decorated style double lancet with segmental pointed head, and to east by 2 similar double lancets. East and west ends have a Decorated double lancet. All the windows are of 1865 and all have hood moulds and stops. South porch has coped gable with cross. Moulded C14 doorway with hood mould and responds, in a poor state of preservation. Interior has stone benches and C19 common rafter roof. South doorway c.1300 has fillet moulded head and shafts, dogtooth ornament, hood mould and mask stops. Tower base has a double chamfered arch to east and west. To west, above, to right, a chamfered door c.1300. Nave west end has a stained glass window, 1864. North arcade, mid C13, 4 bays, has square piers and responds with 4 corner shafts, lobed bases and various stiff leaf capitals. Double chamfered and rebated arches have hood moulds with mask crests and stops. Similar south arcade, 1865. C19 low pitched roof with king post trusses. North aisle has central north side window with late C19 stained glass. East end has a chamfered early C14 tomb recess. C19 arch braced roof with early C14 mask corbels. Chancel north side has 2 stained glass windows, c.1882. East end has a late C19 traceried panelled alabaster reredos and stained glass window, 1883, by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. South side has to east, cusped C13 piscina with hood mould, and cusped ogee headed triple sedilia containing a re-set head from an incised slab. Stained glass eastern window, 1891, by Lavers and Westlake, and 2 windows with late C19 stained glass. C19 principal rafter roof with arch braces and wall shafts on mask corbels. South aisle east end has to left a chamfered piscina with dogtooth, and a stained glass window, 1900. South side has 2 stained glass windows, c.1918 and to west a stained glass memorial window, 1969. C19 lean-to roof with arch braces on C14 corbels. Fittings of 1865 include traceried stalls with scrolled ends, plain pine benches, and octagonal ashlar and alabaster pulpit. C18 carved chest with drawer, a C17 poppyhead, brass eagle lectern, 1891. Late C13 octagonal font with 3 gabled blind arches with crockets anbd masks, on 8 round shafts. Monuments include early C18 marble tablet with apron and scrolled crest, obelisk tablet with crest, 1759, corniced tablet, 1779, Classical tablet with urn, 1804. 2 mid C19 tablets. 4 C19 and 4 C20 brasses. Brass, 1661, referring to benefactions. Pedimented wooden war memorial tablet, 1918. Slate war memorial tablet c.1960.
Listing NGR: SK7794710492
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 26 October 2017.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
War Memorials Online, accessed 26 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/228156
War Memorials Register, accessed 26 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/37715
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing