CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1177393
Date first listed:
01-Oct-1953
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MOAT STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1177393.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2020 at 14:18:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MOAT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
Oadby and Wigston (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 60409 98648

Details

WIGSTON SP69 NW MOAT STREET (south side)

4/21 Church of All Saints

1.10.53

GV I

Parish Church. Largely early C14 with C15 features and conservatively restored by C. Kirk, 1863-4. Granite and limestone rubble with limestone ashlar dressings and leaded roofs. West tower and spire, nave with 2 aisles and clerestory. Chancel. 4 stage tower is of coursed and squared limestone rubble and is clasped by the aisles. Angle buttresses, west door with steep arch and hood mould, small quatrefoil window above. Paired bell chamber lights with transoms and central shaft. Parapet and frieze below recessed spire. South aisle is random granite rubble with continuous string course and parapet above which belongs with a later heightening in granite rubble. Half timbered porch now blocked up. Decorated aisle windows of 3 and 4 lights, and 1 of a simpler form of intersecting tracery. C15 clerestory with embattled parapet and paired lights. Tall chancel is wider than the nave and has been heightened in granite rubble. Priests door and 3-light window of intersecting tracery to south, 5-light Decorated east window. Vestry to north. Decorated north aisle window tracery particularly ornate in its east window. Wide coped gabled north porch with small triple lights in each wall. Tomb recess or Easter sepulchre with shallow arch beneath triangular hood mould. Inside the tower is contained within the body of the Church and so. has arches on 3 sides; double chamfered with semi-octagonal responds. Beyond this the nave has arcades of 4 bays, the north seeming slightly the earlier with cylindrical shafts and double chamfered arches with corbel heads. Capitals are finely adorned with naturalistic foliage or slightly grotesque human figures; some link arms around the pier. Octagonal shafts to south arcade. Both have double chamfered arches. Nave roof dated on tie beam 1637, has curved tie beams with exuberant decoration; central bosses and tracery in the angle with the roof slope, and decorated wall plates. Wide chancel arch springs from heavy corbel heads. C15 screen: 6 tall traceried arches delicately wrought, with canopy above, painted. Tomb recess in north aisle a trefoiled arch beneath a pointed hood mould which contains a mutilated angel's head. Piscina in the east wall. In the south aisle, piscina and aumbrey. Windows all have shafts and hood moulds with corbel heads. Chancel roof similar to nave thoughly of slightly steeper pitch. Sedilia and piscina to south in foiled arches with hood moulds. Shouldered archway to western vestry. To either side of the east window are memorial painted panels of 1905 in a style reminiscent of Burne-Jones. They depict angels and saints in rich colour with gilded inlay. Stained glass: in the south aisle windows, a medieval lion is incorporated in a later pattern to the west, the 4 evanglists of 1889 and an 1875 scene from the life of Christ. The glass in chancel east window also depicts scenes from the life of Christ, but in small Lozenges.

Listing NGR: SP6040998648

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
187568
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/05701/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Andy Haigh. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].