MILTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1162643
Date first listed:
15-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
MILTON HALL

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1162643.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2021 at 21:08:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
MILTON HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Peterborough (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Castor
National Grid Reference:
TL 14486 99849

Details

1. 5141 CASTOR MILTON PARK Milton Hall TL 1499 47/143 15.12.55 GV 2. From 1594 with attic of 1773 by Sir William Chambers and south front of 1745-50 by Flitcroft. Interiors by Flitcroft and Chambers. Built by William Fitzwilliam, Lord Deputy of Ireland. Built of ashlar with stone roofs. The north front dates from circa 1600, with battlements, a long range with 8 projecting bays with one window between each. The bays are canted, 2 staired, 2 are treated as one story bays and have arched lights, and possibly earlier than late C16. The 2 storeyed porch has round arch and flanking Tuscan columns with Ionic column above. Attic has mansard roof by Sir William Chambers 1773 and has 4 tripartite lunettes with pedimented dormers. The south front 1745-50 is by Flitcroft, Palladian, 2 and a half storeys, 9 bays, end bays project and have canted bay windows, the pedimented centre breaks forward with round arched doorway with flanking lights, Venetian first floor window and tripartite lunette in the half storey. Three bay west front has canted bay. East of south front a wing with bow window of circa 1800 by Carr. Interior: nothing of the circa 1600 interior remains. Mostly circa 1750, 1770 and 1800 periods. Entrance hall circa 1750 with coved stuccoed ceiling and chimney piece with open pediment. Dining room has rococo ceiling. Pillared hall has screen of Tuscan columns. Staircase has wrought-iron balustrade, stuccoed ceiling and lantern. Former library by Carr, with Adam style decoration. Long gallery decorated by Chambers with segmental vault and central dome. Peterborough dining room by Chambers. Boudoir has Chinese wallpaper dated 1749. The garden was remodelled by Repton in 1791. A village is said to have existed once at Milton. VCH Northants vol II.

Listing NGR: TL1448699849

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
49936
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ryland, W, Adkins, D, Sejeantson, R, The Victoria History of the County of Northampton, (1906)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 5 Cambridgeshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].