This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1158522

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CROSSHILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Amber Valley

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Codnor

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-May-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 79067

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 44 NW CODNOR CROSSHILL (west side)

6/24 Church of St James

II

Church. 1844 by Robert Barker, chancel 1888-90 by J Holden, also with C20 additions. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs with crested ridge tiles, stone coped gables and eastern ridge crosses. Western tower, 5 bay nave, 2 bay chancel with north vestry and parish room. Three stage tower has stepped angle buttresses rising over the parapets with pinnacled tops. Pointed chamfered doorcase with double doors to south, large chamfered western lancet, and attached C20 boiler house to north of no special interest. Second stage has small lancet over the door and bell stage has corbel table to base and paired chamfered lancets to each side. Eaves stringcourse and embattled parapets. Nave has stepped butresses to angles and between bays. Chancel has deep plinth and buttresses between bays and to angles. Single lancet to south side. East side has three blind flat headed openings set into the plinth, stepped triple lancet window above with moulded sill band and continuous hoodmould, also a trefoil shaped window in the gable. North vestry has large flat headed 3-light mullion window to north wall with trefoil shaped window above, and angled wall to west with pointed doorcase which has hoodmould with foliage stops and plate tracery tympanum. C20 parish room added to north of no special interest. Interior has western gallery with blind arcaded gallery on iron columns, moulded chancel arch with soffit on foliage corbels below inscribed hoodmould with foliage stops. Caernavon arched doorcase into north vestry, with pointed plasterwork panel over. Four-centred door into the tower and similar to gallery staircase. Scissor truss roofs to chancel, arched braced trusses to nave. Fittings all late C19 or C20. Three late C19 marble wall memorials.

Listing NGR: SK4186148743

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 41861 48743

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158522 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2017 at 12:46:32.

End of official listing