CHURCH OF ST NEWLYNA
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST NEWLYNA
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137190.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 07:58:07.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST NEWLYNA
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
- St. Newlyn East
- National Grid Reference:
- SW 82891 56349
ST NEWLYN EAST CHURCHTOWN (North side)
SW 85 NW
Church of St Newlyna
Anglican parish church. Late C12 - mid C13, rededicated Sept 1259.
Late C14 - early C15, reroofed c.1846, and restored 1883 by J.P.Seddon.
Local shaley killas, some iron stained, with granite dressings to doors
and windows. Gritstone quoins to south aisle chapel. Blue slate roofs
with clay crested red ridge tiles. Plan. North transept has early base to
north and east walls, said to be late C12. Nave, chancel and upper
transept walls mid C13 without plinth. South aisle added C15, with
contemporary porch and west tower to nave. Aisle extended eastwards
subsequently, after addition of a south chapel, the Tresillian chapel,
and under which is the Arundell vault. Opposed entrances in second bay
of nave. South porch crenellated. Tall open outer doorway with arch in
square outer moulded frame and quatrefoils in spandrils. Label over. Door
to stair in north-west corner of porch to unbuilt parvise. Sundial over
door with iron gnomon. Internal doorway C15, with trefoiled niche over.
Windows. North transept west window a C13 lancet, other windows all C15,
generally 3-light panelled tracery, but 4-light to north transept and
south chapel. East window of chancel C19. Tower of 3 stages, set-back
buttresses, but clasping buttresses to third stage rising to square
conical finials. Square stair tower on north east angle. West door with
3-light panel tracery over, repeated at bell stage. Gables of south
aisle and chapel have crocketed finials. East chapel has 2-light window
with quatrefoil heads. Growing from the south wall of aisle at junction
with chapel is the famous fig tree, acclaimed to have magical properties.
Interior. Nave. Walls plastered. Floor partly flagged. Barrel vaulted open rafter roof of C19 with carved bosses of C15 reused at purlin and ridge intersections. Granite arcade of 6 bays to south aisle, four attached shafts separated by wave mouldings. Moulded capitals and depressed four-centred arches; identical 2-bay opening to north transept. Tower arch corbelled, wide arris reserved ovolo of earlier type. Glass of 1896 in north-west window. South aisle has lower barrel vault, also with reused bosses. Wide opening on similar responds to south chapel. Chapel has similar roof and reveal shafts to south window. Double piscina. Capitals and arches lower than those of nave. Panelled and painted vaulted ceiling. Recess with wood panelled sedilia and table, C19. East aisle chapel has east window with reveal shafts and large cinquefoil piscina in east wall. North transept, formerly the Cargoll Chapel under patronage of the bishopric of Exeter, has C15 open barrel vaulted roof with leaf carved principal rafters, purlins, collar purlins and wall plates. Reveal shafts to north window.
Fittings. Font C12. Bodmin type limestone bowl on short column with spurred base, the bowl carved with intertwining 3-strand floral scrolls and 4 grotesque quadrupeds. Four angel heads corbelled from rim, supported by C19 verde antico shafts. Screen, C19 by Seddon, oak. Very fine, set across nave and aisle, 10 bays of panelled tracery with ribbed vaulting supporting an elaborately carved rood loft. Similar screen between chancel and south aisle chapel, incorporating painted panels of original medieval screen. C19 oak pulpit, octagonal, accessible from adapted former rood loft stair. Pews to the east of the nave, a fine group of carved bench-ends with tracery and signs of Passion, and arms, those towards east of nave with crouching beast terminals, extended and completed in 1883.
Monuments. South aisle. A simple white marble tablet on grey, to Rev. Henry Pooley, died 1821. South chapel. Fine monument of 1691, white and grey marbles. Inscribed tablet flanked by Ionic columns, curtain drawn aside, and falling from broken pediment containing a marble bust. Arms of Arundell quartering Trerice. and arms of Acland in escutcheon of pretence, with vigorous lion supporters on apron. Inscription, in Latin, to Margaret Arundell. Also in chapel a helmet suspended over arch, formerly belonging to Sir John Arundell, who held Pendennis Castle for Charles I in 1646.
Miscellanea. North wall. Large wood and plaster carved royal arms of Charles I within timber frame. In nave. a lantern cross head in grey killas stone, much eroded, but bearing crucifixion scene, and on back a seated figure of decapitated person, probably St. Newlyna.
The Rev Richard Polwhele, scholar and antiquary, held the living from 1821 to 1838 and from here published 'Traditions and Recollections'(1826) and 'Biographical Sketches in Cornwall (1831).
Listing NGR: SW8289156349
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing