CHURCH OF ST SIMON AND ST JUDE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1095117
Date first listed:
05-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST SIMON AND ST JUDE, CHURCH LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1095117.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 16:02:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST SIMON AND ST JUDE, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Winchester (District Authority)
Parish:
Bramdean and Hinton Ampner
National Park:
SOUTH DOWNS
National Grid Reference:
SU 60982 27811

Details

SU 62 NW BRAMDEAN CHURCH LANE

6/7 Church of St Simon and St Jude 5.12.55 GV II*

Parish Church. Late C12, restored mid C19 and later S transept added. Rubble flint, rendered, stone dressings, old plain tile roof. Circa 1170 nave and chancel, but chancel restored and S wall of nave lost, C19 N porch, S transept with SE vestry, and bell turret at W end of nave roof. Chancel restored 1863 and given E window of 3 lancets under enclosing arch. Side walls have 2 C12 plain short lancets. Nave has late C12 N door with round arch of square order with hollow chamfered abaci and small chamfer on jambs. Door old with strap hinges and wooden lock case. Both in C19 gabled timber sided porch. To E is large 2-light window with quatrefoil in head and lancet high on wall, and to W perpendicular 2-light window, all C19 or reworked then. To E of porch 'tablets' 1721 to Joan Bright and 1814 to William Perry, and part of medieval coffin lid. W wall has C15 square headed window of 3 cinquefoiled lights and in gable plain lancet. On S wall, just W of transept high on wall remains of 2-light round headed window. Weatherboarded bell turret with short shingled spire at W end of nave roof. Large wide S transept. Inside chancel all rear arches and roof c1863, and probably all fittings except for C17 altar table. Brass 1639 to Mary Travers and monuments; 1763 to Elizabeth Durnford, 1808 to Rev. William Gomm and wife. Chancel arch C12 transitional style is pointed of 2 orders with slight chamfers. Capitals have waterleaf moulding to N and recut scrolled leafwork to S. Nook shafts to W and half round shafts on jambs with spreading moulded bases. Monument 1836 to Elizabeth Gomm by James Kellow. Tablets 1800 to Sarah Hodges and 1826 to Christopher Hodges. Nave roof C16, plastered and bell turret rests partly on W wall and partly on W tie beam. Benefactors board 1766 Venables family in vestry. VCH; 1908; Vol 3; p 49-50. 'Buildings of England'; N Pevsner; Penguin; 1966; p 135.

Listing NGR: SU6091327838

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
145352
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1908), 49-50
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 135

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/15202/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Parry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].