CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1094964
Date first listed:
30-Sep-1964
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, MARKET PLACE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1094964.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Aug-2020 at 04:45:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
New Forest (District Authority)
Parish:
Ringwood
National Grid Reference:
SU 14522 05360

Details

SU 1405 RINGWOOD MARKET PLACE (north side)

15/16 Church of St Peter and St Paul 30.9.64 GV II*

Parish Church. 1853-5 by F & H Francis. Rough dressed squared Swanage stone, limestone dressings, plain tile roof. Cruciform plan of chancel with north vestry (now linked to C20 meeting room), central tower, north and south transepts, aisled nave and south porch. Tall restrained church in late Early English/early Decorated style. East end of chancel has stepped triple lancet window with hoodmould angle buttresses. On sides 8 lancets with hoodmoulds that are linked, hipped buttresses between each pair, still level string that runs round them. Tower has octagonal south-east stair tower to 2nd stage with small slit-lights. At west end angle buttresses, similar square-plan tower with offset to top stage which has paired Decorated 2-light louvred bell openings south side has clock face. Moulded cornice below battlemented parapet with merlons pierced by quatrefoils. South transept has to east 2 paired lancets and buttress between. To south stepped quintuple lancet with hoodmould. Quatrefoil window in gable. Angle buttresses. North transept has vestry along east wall. Triple lancet north window with quatrefoil in gable and angle buttresses. Aisles have lower pitched lead roof. On sides 4 Decorated 3-light trefoiled window, sloping topped buttresses between. Corbelled parapet which carries round west end. Gabled south porch with 3-order archway and gable wall with angle buttresses. Windows in aisles, central 3-order west doorway, above 5-light Decorated window. Inside chancel rere arches to pairs of lancets and at east with marble shafts, string below. Stained glass 1857 by Ward and Hughes. 1870 reredos trefoiled arches under gables, marble panelling each side. South east late C13 double piscina. Arch-braced roof. Brass to John Prophete 1416 in slab. 2 order chancel arch on cluster of 3 large columns. 3 steps down. 3 similar arches in crossing. To north organ and monument 1724 to Henry Compton. To south transept chapel has monuments; 1681 to Barth Layton, 1768 to George Bright and family; 1760 to Hackman; 1778 to John Maule; high-set 1766 William Barfoot; 1784 John Briney; 1801 to James Mowbray. Both have hammerbeam roofs. Nave has 4 bay aisles on clustered shafts. Hammerbeam roof and principal rafter roof in aisles. North-east marble pulpit. In north aisles 3 hatchment boards, In south aisle 2 hatchment boards; monuments at east John and Anne Willis 1716-1727 to Newman family; 1785 to Arthur Newman; 1824 to Gally. VCH; 1911; Vol IV; p611-2.

Listing NGR: SP1523004800

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
143715
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1911), 611-2

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01934/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Pauline Thornton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].