Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1093717.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Aug-2020 at 04:26:16.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Test Valley (District Authority)
Michelmersh and Timsbury
National Grid Reference:
SU 34575 24556


HICWQTRSB TIMSBUBY SU 32 SW 7/2 Church of St Andrew 29.5.57


Church. C13 church, chancel rebuilt C15, C16 porch and bellcote, restored C18 & 1847. Rubble flint and stone, rendered, stone dressings, weatherboarded porch and bellcote, old plain tile roof. Plan of C15 chancel to C13 nave with central 5 porch and W bellcote, W bay of nave is vestry. Chancel has stone plinth with offset. E end has C15 3-light cinquefoiled window with label, and C19 kneelered gable. To sides at W squareheaded single light similar window. On S wall 2 C18 oval memorials. Nave has to each side, at E rendered brick arch window of C18 form but with earlier jambs, and to W of centre C13 large pointed lancet. On S side, has central C16 gabled timber porch on brick plinth; end has large posts and tie with arch head cut out of tie. C19 bargeboards and sides. Inside C13 chamfered round-headed door. On E side C18 tablet, on W C17 headstone. Above to W 2-light gabled dormer. At W C13 ogee chamfered pointed door and C18 brick S buttress. Over square plan bellcote with continuous louvre on sides. Roof hipped. Inside chancel E window within continuous chamfered rear arch. Each side C15 moulded image bracket. In SE squareheaded cinquefoiled niche with pillar piscina below. Side windows have similar rear arches. C19 furnishing and tiles. Plastered ceiling with only chamfered tiebeam visible. C19 chancel arch of 2 moulded orders springing off huge plain corbels. Screen C16 of central archway with carved spandrels and each side in top half trefoiled, arcading. Nave has to SE window splayed rear arch, with below window remains of rear arch of lancet. NE window has splay to E and in splay below inset medieval tiles. Wide splays to central N window and flat lintel to door. By door C18 octagonal font on pillar and base. Above door to E remains of wall painting. King post roof. W bay blocked off by panelling below tiebeam, plaster above, Royal Arms Board GR 1788. In NE C17 timber pulpit with arcaded panels carved corbels for book rest and door. In SW corner cupboard dated 1713. At E floor slab William Hunt 1756, at W Richard Harris 1679. On S side C16 pews with round finials on ends. On N C19 restored plainer pews.

Listing NGR: SU3476025439


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Nov 2004
Reference: IOE01/12487/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alec Howard. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email EnrichingTh[email protected].