CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1092569
Date first listed:
16-May-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1092569.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Aug-2020 at 04:37:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Basingstoke and Deane (District Authority)
Parish:
Baughurst
National Grid Reference:
SU5518458572

Details

SU 55 NE BAUGHURST WOLVERTON 9/17 16.5.66

Church of St Catherine

I

Medieval, 1717, with a Gothic restoration of 1872. A classical design, being a rebuilding of 1717, of regular form and symmetrical end elevations; nave of 5 bays, north and south transepts, chancel, western porch (south side) and vestry (north side), and a large western tower. The walling is in red brickwork Flemish bond, with brindle brick features; band below the parapet, quoins and plain pilasters, plain architraves to openings (which have cambered heads with stone keys and impost blocks), plinth (raised as an apron below the windows). The deep parapet has a stone coping, stepped at the transept gables, with semi-circular tops to gables and the raised east end centrepiece. Within the window openings are coupled round- headed lights framed in red brickwork (of the last date). The prominent west tower has 3 stages: a stone coping to the tall parapet (raised by curves at each corner), stone pedestals at each corner, a stone modillion cornice, quoins having white chamfered stone blocks alternating with narrower brindle brickwork, brindle bands and plinth. The upper-stage has an opening with cornice, pulvinated frieze and architrave surround, the middle stage (on the west side) has an arched opening with keystone, the lower with a west doorway (now filled) of an arch formed by massive rusticated blocks. The tiled roof is partly masked by the tall parapets and high gables. The interior has plain classical features and many period details, the east wall is panelled and framed in an Ionic Order of ¾ columns and pilasters, there are wrought-iron altar rails and the remains (of 2 gilded side pieces) of a taller wrought-iron chancel screen, the pulpit and reading desk are identical panelled rostra, approached through archways, the nave and south chancel retain their panelled pews, the north and south doorways have architraves and 8-panelled doors, and there is a stone baluster font. The nave roof has arch braced trusses and arched wind braces, constituting a survival from the medieval church. Other features include a brass candelabra at the crossing, black and white marble diagonal paving to the chancel, and a painted Royal Coat of Arms of 1846. The Victorian Gothic changes, mainly the replacement of windows by brick-framed round-head lights and the removal of the west gallery, have not greatly altered the Georgian styling.

Listing NGR: SU5518458572

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
138001
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00353/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr M. Bridger. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].