HOLY TRINITY CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1092278
Date first listed:
26-Jun-1987
Statutory Address:
HOLY TRINITY CHURCH

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1092278.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Aug-2020 at 04:16:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
HOLY TRINITY CHURCH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Hart (District Authority)
Parish:
Blackwater and Hawley
National Grid Reference:
SU 85288 59382

Details

SU 85 NE HAWLEY HAWLEY GREEN

7/2 Holy Trinity Church

-

- II

1857 (architect J. B. Clacy), 1863 (C. Buckeridge), and 1882 (the Tower). C13 Gothic style, in red brickwork with Bath stone dressings externally; inside of yellow brickwork with flush red brick banding. Nave and aisles of 4 bays, with apse ends to chancel and north chapel and square end to south chapel; western Tower. The main elevation (west) has a central entrance through the tower which has 3 stages (triple lancets above a traceried window above the doorway), coupled corner buttresses and a broach spire (of shingles); on either side the steep gables of the almost full-height aisles have large windows with Geometrical tracery, and buttresses within, the arcade is supported on circular columns with attached Purbeck shafts on the north side, and on plain 4-lobed columns on the south side. The aisles extend a half bay on each side of the tower, the northern recess accommodating the font. The chancel is richly ornamented, with coloured bands, carved capitals, moulded ribs to quadripartite vaulting, stone reredos in front of blind arcading, trefoils above coupled lights to the 5 apse windows, mosaic wall panels, piscina, sedilia, and patterned tile flooring on several stepped levels. The nave has an exposed timber roof, with arch-braced collars, and 2 dormers on each side.

Listing NGR: SP7746362302

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
136732
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/10012/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Chapman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].