CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1081974.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2021 at 20:12:21.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
- Canon Pyon
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 45008 49176
SO 44 NW, SO 44 NE; 4/5, 5/5
CANON PYON CP, Church of St Lawrence
Parish church. C13, C14 and C15. Restored 1865, 1870, 1897 and c1922. Sandstone rubble and ashlar with tiled roofs. Four-bay aisled nave with south tower and two-bay chancel and north chapel.
Tower, incorporating porch, is C14. Four diminishing stages, early C20 embattled parapets and weathercock. Diagonal weathered buttresses to south-west and south-east rise to bottom of top stage. Angle buttresses of same height to north-west and north-east. Top stage has a 2-light ogeed and trefoiled opening with quatrefoil in spandrel to south and east sides. North and west sides have single trefoil and ogee-headed lights. First stage has central ogeed opening to north and south sides. On the west side is a central loop and to the left is a loop to the stairs. Plinth has two large roll mouldings stopped around the jambs of the outer moulded two-centred arch which is double-chamfered. West elevation has C15 nave window with four-centred head, four trefoiled lights and small glazed spandrels. West door beneath has two-centred moulded arch with label and head stops. Flanking the doorway is a pair of weathered buttresses. South aisle has trefoil-headed single light. North aisle has three stepped trefoiled lights beneath a four-centred head, gable cross, and to the left side, a weathered buttress. North elevation has battered buttresses to left, right-hand side and centre. To right of centre is a round-headed chamfered single light, possibly C19. To left is a single trefoil-head light and further left a pair of similar lights with a square quatrefoil above. East elevation of north chapel has three stepped plain pointed lights in a two-centred head. Above is a small opening with a two-centred head, verge and gable cross. Chancel has three stepped trefoil headed lights in a four- centred head. Pair of weathered buttresses and stump of gable cross. Nave has C19 planking above chancel roof. South elevation of chancel has a pair of 2-light trefoiled windows with triangular glazed spandrels. Priest's door- way with two-centred head and continuous moulding. Nave has four square- headed clerestory lights. Aisle has two single trefoil-headed lights. The eastern return has a window similar to those of the south side of the chancel.
Interior of tower has moulded chamfers with run-outs to beams supporting first stage. Inner doorway has double chamfered two-centred arch. Ledged oak door, probably late C19 or early C20. Roofs are mainly C19 with pine collar trusses to chancel and nave. South aisle has three massive chamfered strainer arches supporting leaning arcade piers. North aisle has C15 open wagon roof with four tie beams and remains of corbels above arcade. Wall plate on north wall of north chapel is moulded and enriched with ball flowers. Chancel has C14 piscina with restored trefoiled head, octofoil drain on female corbel-head. Communion table is oak, perhaps early C17 with lamb's tongue chamfer stops to legs, plain stretchers and C20 top. Chamfered two-centred blocked doorway in north wall. Early C18 oak communion rails with turned balusters and square sections. Two- leaved entry with the same detailing. Two low-set corbels opposite each other on north and south walls. Choir stalls, probably C16, reputedly from Wormsley Priory. Each side has a four-seater bench with carved misericords and moulded arms. Also two benches, probably C19, incorporating a single misericord and seat to west end. Desks to benches have carved C15 poppyheads. North wall has wall-monument with portrait relief for Major H G Lush-Wilson, RHA, killed in 1916. Double-chamfered arch separating north chapel has stiff-leaf foliage to eastern respond and octagonal abacus to western pier. East window has late C19 stained glass with Christ giving Benediction. South-east window with Christ after the Resurrection is for DFB and Caroline Thomas, died 1870 and 1905. South-west window depicts the Good Shepherd and St. John the Evangelist, and was given by John Nash, 1906, "... to the Glory of God and to// remind the Vicar and Church- wardens that his and his wife's grave are kept in order". Chancel screen is probably C15 and thoroughly restored. Oak with eight traceried panels on each side of entry, vine-motifs and restored cresting. Screen dividing chancel from north chapel is of similar design. Nave has C13 arcades that to north with stiff- leaf foliage on capitals. Two-centred, double-chamfered arches and circular piers south arcade has alternating octagonal and circular abaci and label with head-stop. Pulpit is C19, oak and part octagonal. Lectern, dated 1920 for Rev G F Bulmer. South aisle has two-centred double chamfered doorway to tower. Ledged medieval door with later repairs. Font has circular moulded base and cylindrical stem with band of C12 or C13 interlaced ornament. C15 bowl is octagonal with three sunk quatrefoils to each side. Slab against west wall has indents of two figures. Slab against south wall has crocketted canopies. Benches have carved oak ends, perhaps C16 or C17. Monument on south wall of George Sawyer, died 1753, signed "L F Roubiliac fecit". White marble draped urn on cornice supported by two scrolls. Extremely subtly curved pedimented background to urn. Convex apron with paean stressing patience. East window has stained glass depicting Christ for Caroline Freeman, died 1867. South-east window has St Stephen for R H Percival, dated 1908. West window with Virgin and Child is for Kathleen Bulmer, dated 1925. North aisle has several wall plaques for members of the Jay family of late C18 onwards. Organ by Norman and Beard dated 1908. North chapel, restored in 1897, has piscina with trefoiled head and quatrefoil drain. Wall monument in black and white marble for Paul Barryson, died 1766. North-west window has mid-C20 stained glass depicting a storm by A J Davis of Bromsgrove, for William and Percy Powell "who gave their lives at sea". Oak screen dividing chapel from north aisle is 1904 by Greenlands of Hereford. Heavy harmonium, probably c1900 by Heins and Co. Wall monument to 17 men of the parish who died in World War I. Beneath, a roll of honour for the seven who died in World War II, the last entry being for a member of the Metropolitan Police killed on night duty on 3rd September 1939. Late C19 or early C20 brass hanging candlesticks, with pendant and three spurs for chains.
Listing NGR: SO4501149176
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire II East, (1932), 45-47
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 98-99
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing