Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060326.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Aug-2020 at 06:54:50.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Taunton Deane (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 16748 24638


OAKE CP ST12SE HILLFARRANCE 5/80 Church of the Holy Cross 25.1.56 II* Parish church. C14 and C15, tower early C16, extensively restored 1857 when porch and vestry added, tower restored 1924, church reroofed and restored 1967. Red sandstone random rubble, Ham stone dressings, decorative patterned claytiles on south side facing village, decorative ridge tiles, coped verges. West tower, south porch abutting south chapel, 2-bay nave, north-east vestry and chancel. Three stage tower with quatrefoil pierced parapet continued around stair turret placed on centre of north face, gargoyles, diagonal buttresses, 2-light bell-openings with Somerset tracery, second stage unlit, 3-light west window with continous hood mould resting on string course above decorative spandrels of 4-centred arch head west doorway, C20 door 3-light window to south face of nave, wall splayed out with part buttress visible behind C19 single storey porch, moulded arch opening, C19 door with remains of holy water stoup to right, abutting chapel projecting beyond, 2-light south and east windows, 2-light south wall of chancel, 3-light east window, 2-light east window to vestry, door on north face, very large buttress at junction of vestry and nave,possibly part of former rood stair, two 3-light mullioned windows under hoodnoulds. Interior: rendered, exposed rubble to tower. Chamfered chancel arch, 4-centred tower arch chamfered in 2 orders with date 1884 carved on north face, very large buttress at junction of vestry and nave, possibly part of former rood stair, two 3-light mullioned windows under hoodmoulds, Perpendicular arch to chapel cut back with angel corbel inserted above 2 shafts on east wall, C19 dedication to William de Vernai died 1333. Roofs C19, chancel shallow barrel vault with painted decoration, nave moulded ribbed barrel vault, ceiled, billeted wall plate, C20 roof to Vernai chapel. Aumbry, piscina and sedilia in chancel, moulded ogee-headed stair turret doorway. Slate memorial tablet to William North, died 1809, inscribed "Long fecit,Taunton". C19 octagonal font on 4 pillars, C19 bench ends copies of C16 originals, C19 pulpit. John Peryn of Wellington left money towards the building of the church tower in his will dated 1509. It shares with St Mary, West Buckland (qv.) the unusual characteristic of having the stair turret placed centrally on the tower wall rather than at a corner. (Pevsner Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, l958).

Listing NGR: ST1674824638


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08933/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Chester. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].