RUSSIAN MEMORIAL IN THE CHURCHYARD OF ST JOHN SUB CASTRO

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1043887
Date first listed:
29-Oct-1985
Statutory Address:
RUSSIAN MEMORIAL IN THE CHURCHYARD OF ST JOHN SUB CASTRO, ABINGER PLACE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1043887.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2020 at 12:09:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
RUSSIAN MEMORIAL IN THE CHURCHYARD OF ST JOHN SUB CASTRO, ABINGER PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
East Sussex
District:
Lewes (District Authority)
Parish:
Lewes
National Park:
SOUTH DOWNS
National Grid Reference:
TQ 41522 10471

Details

TQ 4110 SE LEWES ABINGER PLACE 10/4 (north side)

Russian memorial in the Churchyard of St John sub Castro

GV II

Memorial. Circa 1877 in a neo-Gothic style by John Strong, mason of Lewes. Stone on an octagonal stone base and moulded round plinth. Octagonal drum with marble shafts carrying cusped pointed arches and the ribs to the pointed octagonal spire. Octagonal tabernacle feature above supporting cross. Inscribed with the names of the Russian soldiers who died during imprisonment in Lewes at the time of the Crimean War. Panel to east reads 'Sacred/to the Memory of/the Russian Soldiers/who died Prisoners/of War in Lewes/in the years/ 1854/ 1855 1856'. Panel to the west reads 'RAISED/by the order of/His Majesty/ the Emperor of/RUSSIA/Alexander II/1877. THE MEMORIAL/was restored by the/ Embassy of the USSR/1957/At the instance of the/Friends of Lewes/Society'.

Listing NGR: TQ4152210471

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
292975
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/10266/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Philip Westwood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].