Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1042869.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2020 at 15:14:00.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Wallington Demesne
National Grid Reference:
NZ 02880 84191


WALLINGTON DEMESNE WALLINGTON HALL NZ 0284 21/220 Wallington Hall 6.5.52 GV I Country House built on site of earlier Fenwick house in 1688, for Sir William Blackett; remodelled 1735-45, probably by Daniel Garrett, for Sir William Calverley Blackett. Further alterations 1853-4 by John Dobson, on advice of Ruskin. Tooled-and-margined stone, with dressings; slate roofs. Square plan with ranges around courtyard, roofed over and converted into Central Hall in 1853 & 4;two small service wings to north. Classical style with little external enrichment.

South front 2 storeys, 3+3+3 bays, symmetrical. Rusticated end quoins, bands at lst floor and below eaves. Central slightly-projecting pedimented section has French window in eared architrave under consoles carrying broken pediment with Trevelyan arms, and flanked by 8-pane sashes; 18-pane sashes to 1st floor. Flanking sections have 18-pane dashes with 15-pane sashes above and eaves cornice. All windows in architraves set in shallow projections running the full height of the wall. Top entablature has flattened ball finials with spikes on swept bases flanking pediment and at ends of facade. Hipped roof.

East front 2+3+1+3+2 bays; plainer detail, central Tuscan porch. To far right a 1-storey service wing with firebell in wooden bellcote on ridge.

Interior; notable mid-C18 plasterwork by Pietro Francini, especially in the Saloon; also important contemporary woodwork. Simple but elegant Imperial stair. Arcaded Central Hall has Pre-Raphaelite mural paintings by William Bell Scott, and one panel by John Ruskin.

See articles by John Cornforth in Country Life MCLVII 854-8, 922-6, 986-9.

Listing NGR: NZ0288084191


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 1157, (), 854-8
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 1157, (), 922-6
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 1157, (), 986-9
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 31 Northumberland,


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].