CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1037636
Date first listed:
28-Nov-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
26-Jun-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, ST MARYS SQUARE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1037636.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 06:33:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, ST MARYS SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
West Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Newmarket
National Grid Reference:
TL 64125 63419

Details

TL 6463 7/158

NEWMARKET (including EXNING) ST. MARY'S SQUARE CHURCH OF ST MARY

(Formerly listed under Church Lane, General)

28.11.50 II* Church. Medieval, with major alterations of mid and late C19. Nave, chancel, south and north aisles, west tower, north vestry, south porch. Flint rubble with limestone dressings and parapets to aisles, tower vestry and porch. Slated roofs to nave and chancel; shingled spire, other roofs flat. The C15 tower little altered, with fine oak-framed spire and tall tower arch; the west window inserted mid C19. South nave arcade with quatrefoil piers and aisle are basically C14; much restored including replacement of roof and windows in Perpendicular style, C19. A C15 piscina in the south aisle wall. South doorway C15 with moulded arch and carved angel in the apex. C15 porch, heavily restored c.1876. The chancel completely rebuilt 1856; a late C13 piscina, vaulted and with an angle-shaft, was uncovered and reset. The north transept demolished and replaced by north aisle and organ chamber 1868, with arcade and other detailing to match south aisle. Roofs of aisles and nave C19; oak-framed arched-braced collar trusses. All furnishings C19. About 15 wall tablets in both aisles, mainly of late C18 and early C19, but one dated 1683. A window in the south aisle by Kempe and Tower, 1907.

Listing NGR: TL6412563419

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
275717
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/15641/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Tree. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].