How To Apply for a Historic Building or Site To Be Protected Through Listing
You can apply for a historic building or site to be protected through the listing system by completing our online application form.
You can apply to protect:
- Monuments, including war memorials, currently one of our major priorities
- Parks, gardens or battlefields and
- Wreck sites
If successful, the building or site will then be added to the National Heritage List for England (NHLE).
Making an application
Just follow these two steps in order to make an application.
Step 1: Check that the place you are nominating is eligible
We only take forward applications where the building or site:
- Is under serious threat of demolition or major alteration
- Is a priority under Historic England’s Action Plan
- Has very strong potential for inclusion on the NHLE
Step 2: Completing the form
- You will first need to set up a Heritage Passport Account, if you don't already have one. This is quick and easy to do and will allow you to submit as many applications as you like. You can also return to unfinished applications at any time.
- Read our checklist to see what information you will need to have to hand when completing the application form.
- Complete the application form using our step-by-step guidance.
Need more information?
Certificates of Immunity and Building Preservation Notices
You can also apply for a Certificate of Immunity (COI) and a Building Preservation Notice (BPN) using the above form.
However, certain restrictions apply to these types of application. See the fact sheets below for more information.