Visit Shrewsbury Flaxmill Maltings
The centre brings together interpretations of the mill's role in the industrial revolution and the pioneers who made it happen, including:
- The impact of the building's revolutionary iron frame on the world of architecture
- How flax was processed, from the field to the end product, which include a myriad of items from ship sails to playing cards
- Details of the mill's machinery and technology
- Working conditions at the mill, including child labour
- The change of use from flaxmill to maltings and the malting process
The opening of the Shrewsbury Flaxmill Maltings visitor centre is the first phase of an exciting project with Historic England working in partnership with Friends of the Flaxmill Maltings and Shropshire Council to restore this historic site and secure its future. A Heritage Lottery Fund grant is enabling the second phase of restoration to go ahead. Once completed, the buildings will provide a mixed use development with community, residential and commercial facilities.
- November to March, Saturdays only 10am to 4pm
- April to October, Friday, Saturday, Sunday 10am to 4pm
- Closed over Christmas and New Year
Heritage Open Days
Friday 7 - Sunday 9 September and Friday 14 - Sunday 16 September 2018
On Saturday 8 and Sunday 9 September 2018 guided tours will be available at regular intervals throughout the weekend, and there will be interpretation and displays on the history, structure and uses of the buildings.
In addition there will be an art exhibition, child friendly activities and other displays and entertainment during the weekend of 8 and 9 September only.
Spring Gardens, Shrewsbury, SY1 2SX
Entrance off the A5191
Train: Shrewsbury station - 0.7 miles
Bus: 24, 64, 511 & 519
Friends of Shrewsbury Flaxmill Maltings
The Friends of Shrewsbury Flaxmill Maltings run the Visitor Centre and organise events, tours and public activities on site. When it is complete, the Friends will also manage the public visitor space within the Main Mill.
For more information about public tours, events and open days, and for general news about what is happening at the site, register to receive the Friends of Shrewsbury Flaxmill Maltings newsletter.