Great Weston Heritage Action Zone
Helping the town's heritage play a part in its regeneration.
Weston super Mare is on the up. It's increasingly seen as a great place to live in, work in and visit, attracting new residents, businesses and a steady stream of visitors. The Great Weston Heritage Action Zone wants to catch this wave and help the town's heritage play a part in its regeneration.
Like many similar seaside towns, Weston has seen a decline in its visitor economy in recent years, but the multi-million pound regeneration of its seafront and its stunning natural setting mean it's still an attractive destination for local visitors. But there is more to do to support Weston's broader economy, and that's why this Heritage Action Zone will focus on the town centre.
Currently suffering from high levels of social deprivation, poor quality housing, a depressed retail offer and poor pedestrian links, the town centre now needs help to fulfil its potential in Weston's future. Its beautiful but underappreciated Victorian and early 20th century buildings stand ready to become new business premises and homes; the regeneration of Weston's historic shopfronts and public places will tempt back shoppers and attract new businesses; and better links between the town centre, railway station and seafront will make sure visitors don't miss all Weston has to offer.
How the Great Weston Heritage Action Zone will help
Over three years this Heritage Action Zone aims to boost economic growth and keep Weston on the map as a great place to live and work.
- Researching Weston's heritage and urban development, to inform a new book
- Reviewing Weston's listed buildings
- Bringing the town centre's historic buildings back into use as high quality homes
- Grant schemes to improve the public realm, shop signs and shopfronts
- New, clear heritage routes across the town, plus new pedestrian access to Weston Museum, Weston Town Square, the seafront and side lanes
- Improved design standards and quality in conservation areas and surrounding areas
- A local listing project
- Heritage health walks and a 'Looking Up' initiative to encourage appreciation of Weston's heritage
Led by North Somerset Council, the other partners are:
- Historic England
- Weston Town Council
- Homes & Communities Agency
- Weston-super-Mare Civic Society
- Weston Museum
- Weston Town Centre Partnership & Bid
- Weston College
- Weston Chamber of Commerce
- Federation Of Small Businesses (Weston branch)
- Voluntary Action North Somerset (VANS)
- Great Weston Great Places programme team (if funding awarded)
- Heritage Lottery Fund (via Great Places or through alternative arrangements linked to specific projects)
- Arts Council England (via Great Places or through alternative arrangements linked to specific projects)
- Heart of Weston Public Health Team
- Weston Town Centre Team (tbc)
- Avon & Somerset Police (tbc)
Stay up to date
Follow us on Twitter @HE_SouthWest
Weston Town Centre Regeneration Manager
North Somerset Council
Principal Adviser, Historic Places
Also of interest...
Find out about Historic England's work, news and events across the South West.