Boxgrove Priory, Boxgrove, West Sussex
The Benedictine Priory was founded in 1117 as the Priory of St Mary the Virgin and St Blaise. It was an alien priory (controlled by another religious house outside of England). The transepts and crossing of the church date to the early 12th century and the choir and nave to the late 12th -14th centuries. A guesthouse and well were added in the 14th century. In 1536 the priory was dissolved as part of Henry VIII's Dissolution of the Monasteries programme from 1536 to 1541. The surviving remains consist of the priory church, which is now the parish church, and parts of the chapterhouse and guest house. The foundations of the cloisters, frater and dorter to the north of the church are visible on aerial photographs. The site is now (2011) in the care of English Heritage.