Aerial View, Farleigh Hungerford Castle, Farleigh Hungerford, Somerset
Aerial view reconstruction drawing of the castle in c1660 by Phillip Corke. Farleigh Hungerford Castle is an enclosure castle built between the late 14th century and early 15th century. The castle includes an inner court and outer court with natural man-made defences surrounding it. In the outer court there is a chapel, the Priest's House, and the site of the stables. The chapel, of mid 14th century date, was the parish church which was originally outside the defences. From the reign of William II to Edward III Farleigh was held by the Montfort family and their original manor house was on the site of the castle. In 1369-70 the manor was bought by Sir Thomas de Hungerford who fortified the manor house and built the hall in 1380-90. His son, Sir Walter Hungerford, added the outer court in 1420-30 including the moat. The castle was described as in a 'very ruinous' state by 1701. This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2011).