Weir and District War Memorial
List Entry Summary
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
Name: Weir and District War Memorial
List entry Number: 1439037
Deerplay Hill, Burnley Road, Weir, Rossendale, Lancashire, OL13 8RD
The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District Type: District Authority
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first listed: 31-Oct-2016
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Building
First World War memorial, unveiled on 14 September 1935.
Reasons for Designation
Weir and District War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: a simple yet dignified granite cross sited within its original well-executed enclosure.
There had been a Great War memorial, a shrine of remembrance, built into the wall at the Weir branch of the Bacup Co-operative Society, but it was felt that a larger memorial would be more fitting. The site was donated by the Irwell Springs Printing Company, one of the largest employers in the area, who also undertook the design, layout and workmanship and paid for the architecture and preparation of the terracing and surrounding wall. The memorial was built by the mason I E Kilpatrick.
Weir and District War Memorial was unveiled on Saturday 14 September 1935 by PC Richard Coates, the first man from Weir to join up to fight in the war. The ceremony was attended by the Mayor and Mayoress of Bacup and many relatives and friends of the fallen.
A number of repair projects have since been undertaken on the memorial including some re-lettering.
DESCRIPTION: the war memorial comprises a 3m high cross on a tapering shaft. The shaft is set upon a square plinth on a two-stepped base.
The inscriptions are in raised lead lettering; on the horizontal arm of the cross the inscription reads: PRO PATRIA; and below at the base of the shaft the inscription reads: ERECTED TO/ THE MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF/ WEIR AND DISTRICT/ WHO FELL IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ LEST WE FORGET.
The memorial is set within a paved octagonal two-level terraced enclosure defined by dry stone piers and walls. The enclosure is accessed by a decorated metal side gate with a series of steps at the front of the enclosure providing the access to the upper terrace where the memorial is sited.
Deerplay War Memorial, accessed 23 August 2016 from http://www.bacuptimes.co.uk/remembrance.htm
War Memorials Online, accessed 21 July 2016 from www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/node/105309
War Memorials Register, accessed 21 July 2016 from www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/18693
War Memorials Trust, accessed 21 July 2016 from www.warmemorials.org/search-grants/?gID=584
National Grid Reference: SD8626226711
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1439037 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Mar-2018 at 02:16:15.
End of official listing