Eyre Chantry (Roman Catholic Chapel), Perrymead Cemetery
List Entry Summary
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
Name: Eyre Chantry (Roman Catholic Chapel), Perrymead Cemetery
List entry Number: 1406474
Eyre Chantry (Roman Catholic Chapel) in Perrymead Cemetery, Pope's Walk, Bath
The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Bath and North East Somerset
District Type: Unitary Authority
Parish: Non Civil Parish
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first listed: 05-Dec-2011
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Building
Chantry chapel. c1860. By CF Hansom for Count John Eyre.
Reasons for Designation
* Architectural interest: the exterior of the chapel retains its original form and the elaborate interior includes work by several of the foremost firms producing Gothic Revival church furnishings at this time; * Group value: the mausoleum forms a group with the Wall, gatepiers and gates to Perrymead Cemetery (Grade II) and the Roan Cross, also within the Perrymead Cemetery (Grade II).
The mortuary chapel (or mausoleum) was built for a recusant Eyre family of Derbyshire, by C F Hansom. It is believed that the chapel was built c. 1860 and an uncited cutting from a periodical, dated 21 October 1863, gives a full account of the lavish interior decoration and fittings.
MATERIALS: limestone coursed and squared, with some ashlar courses and Welsh slate roofs.
PLAN: rectangular vessel with apsed chancel, south spirelet and porch.
EXTERIOR: French Gothic style, rather more elaborate than adjacent cemetery chapel. The west wall has a three-light Decorated window with quatrefoils in the head. There are corner buttresses, and a coped gable with a cross. South wall has a large gabled porch with cross. There is a small hexagonal tower with open belfry and spirelet above. The tower in the centre bay is flanked by two-light windows with trefoils in the head tracery. There are three similar windows in the chancel and three more to the north wall. The bays are separated by gabled buttresses with off-sets. The roof is banded in plain and scalloped slates.
INTERIOR: not inspected but reported to be richly decorated, containing an ‘Elaborate altar in alabaster by Mr. Charles Hansom, executed by Bolton of Cheltenham'. (Tunstall, 1875, p.131): this includes a figure of the recumbent Christ, with the altar above forming a canopy, carried on shafts of Irish green Serpentine. Recessed arches with rich capitals are carried on shafts of Devonshire marble; the screen of hammered ironwork is by Hardman of Birmingham, which firm was also responsible for the stained glass. The floor of encaustic tiles is by Mintons.
Books and journals
Jackson, N, Nineteenth Century Bath - Architects and Architecture, (1991), 147
Tunstall, J, Rambles about Bath and its neighbourhood, (1875)
National Grid Reference: ST7582663459
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1406474 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2015 at 09:21:56.