This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BUILDING 132 (RATION STORE)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BUILDING 132 (RATION STORE)

List entry Number: 1392881

Location

BUILDING 132 (RATION STORE)

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Whittlesford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Dec-2005

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 500325

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WHITTLESFORD

1767/0/10027 NORTH CAMP, IMPERIAL WAR MUSEUM (FORME 01-DEC-05 R RAF DUXFORD) Building 132 (Ration Store)

GV II Ration store. 1933. By the Air Ministry's Directorate of Works and Buildings. Drawing No. 503/29. Stretcher bond cavity wall brickwork, slate roof.

PLAN: A small single-storey L-plan gabled building, immediately behind the Institute (Building No 6, qv), and set to the main N/S axis through the parade ground to the heating plant at the far rear. Two rooms, office to left and store to right, behind verandah incorporated under roof slope.

EXTERIOR: Windows are timber, with concrete sub-sills and slightly cambered brick voussoir heads. The front has two 4-pane sash to the gable, left, then a small high casement and wide pair of plank doors, set back to a deep verandah, the front eaves carried on slender timber posts set to concrete base pads. The end returns are plain, and the back has two high lights, and two 4-pane to the gable end, all this in one plane. All windows are barred. There is a slight rendered plinth, and the slate roof is brought to tight eaves and verge finishes.

INTERIOR: Not inspected, but appears to have office to the gabled unit, with store to the right.

HISTORY: A very modest structure with little architectural pretension, but a standard unit essential to the operation of the base which was erected in conjunction with the Institute (Building No 6, qv). Duxford represents the finest and best-preserved example of a fighter base representative of the period up to 1945 in Britain, with an exceptionally complete group of First World War technical buildings in addition to technical and domestic buildings typical of both inter-war Expansion Periods of the RAF. It also has important associations with the Battle of Britain and the American fighter support for the Eighth Air Force. For more details of the history of the site see under entry for the Officers' Mess (Building 45).

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 45711 46322

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1392881 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-May-2017 at 11:13:11.

End of official listing