This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HANGAR AT ST 598 805, FILTON AIRFIELD

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HANGAR AT ST 598 805, FILTON AIRFIELD

List entry Number: 1391562

Location

HANGAR AT ST 598 805, FILTON AIRFIELD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: South Gloucestershire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Patchway

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Dec-2005

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 495887

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FILTON

319/0/10011 Hangar at ST 598 805, Filton Airfield 01-DEC-05

GV II Aircraft storage shed. Designed 1913, built 1917-18. Timber framework, corrugated iron cladding to roof and walls.

PLAN: An early side-opening shed, with doors under gabled cross range at right angles to main longitudinal ridge. Some later internal subdivision; lean-to range across the rear for offices and stores, and on central projection under swept-down roof.

EXTERIOR: The E elevation has central former main doors, with late C20 flat-roofed extension to centre and to N gable. Workshop annexe to rear (W) with metal casements.

INTERIOR: Not inspected. These types of hangars had softwood principal posts and secondary members: fine low-pitched timber trusses with flitched bottom chord and doubled rafters to a series of raking struts, the outer section plated with raking board for shear reinforcement, and a central iron suspension rod.

HISTORY: Although probably dating from 1917-18, this comprises a rare surviving example of the earliest standard type of hangar, designed by the Royal Engineers of the War Office's Directorate of Fortifications and Works in 1913 and comprising a side-opening coupled shed with rear workshops.

The Bristol Aeroplane Company, founded by Sir George White, was established in 1910 as one of Britain's first aircraft manufacturers. It also established a series of training schools for civilian and military flyers, the hangars at Larkhill in Wiltshire having survived from this period. By the Second World War the Bristol Company supplied engines for nearly half the world's airlines and more than half the world's air forces, and in the Second World War it provided a third of the RAF's engines. Sited to the north of Sir George White's aircraft factory of 1910 (converted out of tram manufacturing sheds built in 1908), this part of Filton was developed as an Aircraft Acceptance Park for the reception and final assembly of aircraft from factories and their flight testing, storage and distribution to operational squadrons. The buildings, which survive as the most complete on any of these types of sites in existence (numbering 27) in November 1918, were retained for use by the Bristol Aeroplane Company after the war, and after 1929 became part of an operational fighter base. Following the disbanding of 501 (County of Gloucester) Squadron in 1957, the hangars reverted to use by the aircraft factory, now British Aerospace.

(S Gillett, 'Rolls Royce West Works', Bristol Industrial Archaeology Society Journal, No. 29 (1997), pp. 22-9; S Gillett, The Aircraft Industry in Avon and South Gloucestershire, Ironbridge Institute MsC Thesis, 1999; J Rennison, Wings over Gloucestershire ( Stroud, 1988))

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Rennison, J, Wings Over Gloucestershire, (1988)
Gillet, S, 'Bristol Industrial Archaeological Society Journal' in Rolls Royce West Works, , Vol. 29, (1997), 1997

National Grid Reference: ST 59839 80534

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1391562 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-May-2017 at 11:12:49.

End of official listing